Author Topic: need help losin weight  (Read 3603 times)

Offline bubby

Re: need help losin weight
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 06:49:42 pm »
I always "sweat" my bows while I'm tillering once I realize everything is even. I start at first brace and leave it strung for about an hour. As the tillering progresses the sweat time lengthens. By the time I have the tillering done and the bow shot in I want to be able to leave my bow strung for a few hours at lease while hunting or shooting 3D without any loss of performance. By doing this and exercising well after every wood removal I rarely loose any weight shooting in the bow.

+1 with Pat, I do the same at first full brace, when i'm hunting my bow might be strung for twelve hours, no problems
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 07:07:46 pm »
been goin slow with it, now @ 55# @ 25" gettin closer, gonna string it and let it sit for a couple hrs n check it
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline adb

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 08:10:31 pm »
Continue to tiller your bow as usual, until you reach desired draw weight, at your desired draw length. Leave maybe 2-3 pounds to sand it out, depending on how deep your tool marks are.
Leaving your bow braced for a day of activity should not effect its performance, if it's made well.

To lose draw weight, you just need to evenly remove wood keeping your tiller the same. If you want 55#, make it 55#. Don't be afraid to continue to your goal weight. Your bow won't magically lose 10# by just leaving it.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 03:45:32 pm »
left it strung for 3 hrs last nite but did not check for weight loss will check when i git home from work, abd i keep hopin my gut would come off by not doin anything but thats not workin for some reason ;D
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 05:31:00 pm »
Henceforth and from this day on do not draw it more than 5# over. If the tiller is good take 10-20 passes along each limb and check to see tiller; stop 1 inch below your intended draw weight with your target weight showing, shoot it in and sand. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

mikekeswick

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 03:47:32 am »
If a bow can handle a higher weight without taking set then it is overbuilt and should be narrowed some. Think about it what is the point in pulling a bow further than your drawlength or to a heavier weight than you intend it to be when finished? If I have no set I reduce the width or crown the belly a little.

As for your bow a good solid shoooting session of at least 75 -100 arrows to check the tiller and the weight. Once it's static call it done!
There is no point sanding finerthan around 400 grit, smoother than that and the finish you use won't have sufficent key to get the best bond.