Author Topic: another quick question  (Read 3229 times)

Offline yebon

another quick question
« on: February 27, 2014, 11:08:04 am »
I am looking to go talk with my local butcher to see if i can get some cow leg bones for some projects.  Is cow sinew as good as deer and other animal sinew?  I figure if i am getting the bone might as well ask for some sinew as well.  Just need to know if it is usable or if  I should not use it.  Thanks for any help.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: another quick question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 11:14:01 am »
I used cow sinew on my last sinew backed static recurve and really liked the way it worked and works. I got it already shredded so I don't know how easily it shreds. Cow bones will work too but you might get some from Pet Smart or other pet store because they have been cleaned and bleached and thus less work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline yebon

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 11:42:08 am »
Thank you Pat.  I will look into what it would cost both ways.  It may be worth the extra work if the price is very different.  If it is fairly close I will make a stop at pet smart.  I appreciate your guidance on my questions. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 01:26:43 pm »
If you have a Chinese food store(not restaurant) near where you live they sell cow leg sinew. You might try that option also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 07:53:52 pm »
I've gotten bovine sinew via dog chews and it does work just as well.  Pounds a bit harder due to thicker casing but still works well.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 08:45:41 pm »
This is what I picked up from an Asian grocery. About 4 bucks for two full cow tendons. A little bit of processing involved.  I havnt used it yet, but the general consensus is cow sinew is a bit greasier than deer so just wash the processed sinew in dish soap before Glueing.

Don Case

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 12:41:27 am »
I've gotten bovine sinew via dog chews and it does work just as well.  Pounds a bit harder due to thicker casing but still works well.
I got some of this from two different dealers. One was good and the other wasn't. I contacted the producers and some are dried in dehydrators at a fairly high temp(they wouldn't tell me how high). The one that wasn't good shattered in spots. I got a piece of what was called "backstrap tendon" and when I looked it up on the net it said it was neck tendon baked at 425 degrees. It shattered like glass. I guess the lesson here is to buy one and test it. I would think that getting it fresh so you know how it's dried is the best way to go.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 08:00:14 am »
Don, that neck tendon is the stuff that used to be used for arrow points. I posted a photo of one on here somewhere.  Curits

Don Case

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 02:06:04 pm »
Do you mean as a point or to hold points on? It was a big chunk of tendon and would have had a lot of sinew in it if they hadn't barbequed it.
Don

Don Case

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 02:22:14 pm »
Found it  ;D   https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=40055.0

I might try making points from this chunk I've got but it's aweful brittle

Offline 4dog

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 10:23:33 am »
guys...sinew is sinew...it doesnt matter if its mouse or moose..
its ALL sinew...all that really changes is the amount and length.....just sayin.
"SET" is always there !!!