Author Topic: Freshman effort  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Bombadil072

Freshman effort
« on: February 19, 2014, 04:56:24 pm »
Hey all,

Here are a couple of pics of my first attempts.  Like many others, I am (roughly) following the build-along for the Home Depot bamboo arrows.  Playing around with a variety of lengths to see what is best, but no clear winner so far.

I have more shafts in various stages of production, and look forward to having at least three that are "matched" by the end of this run.

Thanks in advance for looking!

Jerome

Offline TRACY

Re: Freshman effort
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 06:07:02 pm »
Looking real good Jerome ! Are you using dowel glued inside to taper for nocks and field points? I found that to work better when using steel points.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 06:22:52 pm »
yours came out better than mine did. good job.

Offline BryanR

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 07:20:52 pm »
Wouldn't have a problem shooting those.  Nice job.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 09:22:58 pm »
Fine looking arrows.

Offline Bombadil072

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 09:39:07 pm »
Looking real good Jerome ! Are you using dowel glued inside to taper for nocks and field points? I found that to work better when using steel points.

Tracy

I have not tried dowel inserts yet.  My tool chest is very limited right now, as is my time.  I was trying to get usable arrows as soon as possible in this case.  I have had one point come undone, but I re-applied it and have had no issues since then.  I used hot melt glue and a taper tool, and it seems to have held up ok.

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 01:55:44 am »
Nice looking work there for a first effort....Dowel will cost 38-79 cents. It will pay dividends in the future, esp. if you plan on target practicing any length of time with those...Nice job..
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 08:53:45 am »
Very nice arrows.  You did real good on your feather spliced feathers.

A cheap and easy way to make dowel inserts for your points is to take a dowel and put it in a drill press (about 3" of dowel) and turn about 1" of it down to a 1/8th diameter using sand paper.  Makes a nice hardwood insert for cheap.  I find that the center/pithy part of bamboo is about 1/8" in diameter.  I use titebond 111 to glue the insert in to the bamboo.

Offline Bombadil072

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 08:22:31 pm »
A cheap and easy way to make dowel inserts for your points is to take a dowel and put it in a drill press (about 3" of dowel) and turn about 1" of it down to a 1/8th diameter using sand paper.  Makes a nice hardwood insert for cheap...

Anybody have an effective suggestion for doing this without a drill press? 

Another issue I have already noticed is fletchings lifting off of the shafts.  I used Duco cement, and I don't know if anyone has a better idea for unfinished bamboo.

Thanks,

Jerome

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 09:15:16 pm »
Jerome,
I like using bamboo skewers, you can get a lot of them for a dollar.  They are about 1/8" in diameter, if they are too big a little sandpaper will get it there pretty quick.  I use gorilla glue for the inserts, it expands in any voids and strengthens the tips.  as far as the feather coming off I would sand the cane/boo a bit to get the waxy like outer covering off and then glue the feathers, then add a thread wrap at both ends.  I like super glue and a fletcher myself, but Duco and you eye will work too, just takes longer.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Bombadil072

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 12:00:19 am »
Thanks for the skewer suggestion.  I will definitely put that to good use right away.