Author Topic: Dry Fired My Bow  (Read 10714 times)

Offline Mark Smeltzer

Re: Dry Fired My Bow
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 11:18:04 pm »
Makes sense but in this case those limb tips (recurves) were pretty narrow, I suspect that the string could have slammed hard enough to slide off to the side and out of the groove in the underlay. That to me would explain why/how that bottom limb got to be more than a 90 deg angle from the handle. I'm thinking the string didnt stretch that much.

Mark

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2014, 10:54:21 am »
I would have to disagree with Pat.  A stretchy string is easier on a bow if dry fired.  I have, unfortunately, had the misfortune of having a few dry fires, mostly due to arrow nock failures and I was using FF strings on most.  In every case the FF strings destroyed the bows while some bows with the dacron string survived.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2014, 11:08:45 am »
What was the type of destruction? Separation of growth rings/lams, broken in half ,nock failure etc? This is very interesting.

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2014, 11:48:03 am »
Makes sense to me Marc. A stretchy string would absorb a lot of energy before the limb tips hit home. a good analogy would be bungee jumping, think about jumping off of a bridge with a non stretching rope. I bet that bow was smoking fast which also made it less likely  to survive a dry fire.     

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2014, 05:32:17 pm »
 I made the last 6" very narrow on that one hoping to lighten the tips and get more speed out of it. It worked, it was very fast and no handshock but in doing so I think the tips may not have been as stable as some other recurves I've made.
I really do think that when the string slammed that hard it slipped past the grooves in the underlay and allowed the limbs to over travel as bad as they did.
My opinion is in this case it would not have mattered either way. I'll try it again but modify the string grooves to be deeper and more open maybe.

Offline PatM

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2014, 06:18:43 pm »
It would have to miss the grooves by twisting than actually "slam past them".

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2014, 06:32:58 pm »
Yea, thats what I'm thinking. The string wasn't hitting right in the bottom of the groove and the dry fire just was too much. Weather it was twisting due to instability or just misalignment, thats what I think is why it failed in that way. The limbs on that were only 1 1/8 at the widest part.  It was a bit of an experiment just going for all out speed.
Live and learn, I'll try that one again.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2014, 08:06:17 pm »
What was the type of destruction? Separation of growth rings/lams, broken in half ,nock failure etc? This is very interesting.

One of the FF failures was exactly like Mark's Yew bow.  A couple of others had the string snap the overlays and travel down into the limb several inches.  Nasty stuff
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2014, 05:19:54 pm »
Of course they do. That's why arm or even wrist slap is so evident.
 A stretchy string may absorb vibration but it also allows the creation of more vibration/limb movement after the dry-fire.
 A non stretch string doesn't allow the limbs any room to move.

Ok, I see how you have arrived at your conjecture.  My conjecture would arise from thinking of this as someone bungee jumping.  You hit the end of the lenght of elastic rope long before you stop moving, and the energy of deceleration (actually reverse acceleration) is slowly released.  Make the same jump with a sisal rope, which has elasticity, albeit significantly less, and the reverse acceleration happens over a much faster period.  Ouch.  Now make that rope out of numerous strands of FF, zero stretch.  Worse yet.  The shock of immediate stopping has to be absorbed somewhere? 

Is there any high speed photography of how a bow limb behaves when it hits home under FF vs Dacron?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PatM

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2014, 06:51:50 pm »
I can definitely see the nock scenario failure where it is more of the splitting action but less so the limb failure.
 The string definitely stretches with Dacron but the allowed limb movement is much greater. With a no stretch string, the limb just doesn't have anywhere to go.
 The shock can still be absorbed by a no stretch string without it actually stretching, no?
 If you use a fastflite bungee cord with a Kettlebell as the weight and it doesn't break the cord on the drop, that energy was still absorbed.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2014, 08:32:05 pm »
Yup, kinda like a long drop with a short rope around the neck is absorbed.  What does that shocked energy do to the neck/limb?

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PatM

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2014, 10:20:54 pm »
You're comparing vastly different materials and scenarios. For all intents and purposes, the neck is the weak link in part of the rope.
 A well made bow has no "neck".

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2014, 01:46:10 pm »
Every time I hear that cracking sound, it breaks my heart.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.