Author Topic: Tightbond liquid Hide glue question  (Read 2226 times)

Offline yebon

Tightbond liquid Hide glue question
« on: February 26, 2014, 12:05:38 pm »
I have some of the tightbond liquid hide glue and wanted to know if I can use it to seal my rawhide hafting on my spear and on other projects that sealing may require.  I have seen regular hide glue used alot but was not sure if this would be a substitute?  thank you for any help.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tightbond liquid Hide glue question
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 12:30:05 pm »
Liquid hide glue works but it has a shelf life. If it is old it takes forever to dry.
 Hide glue is water soluble and not good to seal things. You can use TBIII to seal it because when it dries it is waterproof.
 For a more primitive sealer I use pitch varnish I make to seal hafted points on arrows. The pitch varnish is just hard brittle pitch dissolved I alcohol then strained before using.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Tightbond liquid Hide glue question
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 09:11:02 am »
 +1 on Pat B's pitch varnish...He shared this with me some time ago and have never had wet sinew since, and it works on anything but you have to use the hard crystalized resin...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;