Author Topic: Danish Oil Finish ?  (Read 5048 times)

owlbait

Danish Oil Finish ?
« on: January 26, 2014, 02:45:44 pm »
I don't see Danish Oil Finish mentioned much. I'm using it on a Sassafras pyramid bow that was gifted to me by KHALVERSON. It is long, wide, shoots great, and best of all, I just needed to final sand and finish it! Danish oil finish is suppose to stain, seal, and protect. It's easy to apply and smells great. SO....why doesn't it seem more popular?
Mike  owlbait

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Danish Oil Finish ?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 04:39:42 pm »
I don't know, but I am interested too. What exactly is danish oil? Isn't it linseed oil, wax, and turps? Anything else? Can you make your own?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 04:59:55 pm »
I use it.  It's the only thing I use, in fact.  Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year.  That's how I was taught.

I think TMK is right - boiled linseed oil, beeswax and turps.  It's pretty much (as far as I know) a straight 3/3/3 mix so shouldn't be too hard to make up your own batch.  It forms a nice tough skin once it cures, but looks like oil as compared to shiny like varnish.  It's probably identical to tung oil isn't it?

owlbait

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:55:28 am »
Thanks Wills. Any other comments or experiences to share?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 11:19:17 am »
So it's kinda like a dull sheen? I might make some. I have some carnuba wax too I might like to use, I have heard it is less sticky then beeswax, I hate how sticky beeswax can be. But with an oil finish, it might not matter?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline WillS

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 12:19:47 pm »
Just because I know literally nothing about this stuff other than I like the finish it gives me, here's the "blurb" on the back of a can I have

"Danish Oil contains tung oil and other special ingredients which penetrate deep into all types of timber, drying to a hard, durable and water resistant seal.  The oil primes, seals and finishes all woods, including oak, teak, mahogany, pine and all veneered surfaces.  It does not leave a surface film to chip or scratch"

My experience with it is that if you apply enough coats you do end up with skin - but not a skin like varnish gives you.  It's impossible to see or feel - if you were to run your fingernail over it all you would feel is wood grain - and leaves the wood looking deep and rich and full of colour but not "shiny" per se.

I use it on leather sword grips as well - works really well.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 03:32:12 pm »
I use Danish on lots of bows and most arrows.  It's about all I use on arrows anymore.  I like it very well.  Let it soak in a bit then wipe off the excess.  Don't let it dry on the surface of the wood or you'll have a gummy mess.  It takes a while to get a nice weather resistance tendency built up but it is an attractive finish.  It and linseed oil are my two favorites.  Linseed smells somewhat better but I think penetrates a little less deeply.  I could be wrong though.  Just a casual observation.  Danish is less messy to apply. 

Offline VicNova

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 04:59:23 pm »
Danish oil is great, it really brings out the grain in a bow. However, it is not as durable as tru-oil or polyurethane and additional coats need to be applied every few months depending on the level of use and ware.
Ypsilanti,  Michigan