Author Topic: Outta sight outta mind  (Read 5822 times)

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: Outta sight outta mind
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 11:32:05 am »
Great idea.   :)

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 02:33:16 pm »
Yep, some low humidity and air-flow is the way to go.  That is going to be a sweet bow.  Looking forward to it.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 02:59:10 pm »
<snip>...That is going to be a sweet bow.  Looking forward to it.

Well, I guess it might've had a chance at being something good, IF it had been crafted from a peice of Osage instead of that silly pink stuff.  ;) :P >:D

OneBow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 03:40:07 pm »
Note to self:

Take "Onebow" off the "possibles" list for this bow give away, check!....;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 03:44:50 pm »
Me and my BIG MOUTH!   :( :'( :( :'( :(

OneBow

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 03:51:25 pm »
you are in a hurry?
sorry, but not convinced that speed drying is the best method. Perhaps you should turn around the bow 180° from time to time.
But, ...
... the bow looks good!!! Good Luck!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 04:16:21 pm »
Simon Im not speed drying the sinew. I just know its going to dry very fast due to very low humidity in my shop, 23-25% is bone dry. It will still sit idle for 2 months and Ill tiller it out then. I reach up and spin the bow every day so its getting equal air flow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bow101

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 06:48:44 pm »
I don't have any heat in the garage, but when my wife parks the car nightly. it creates big time heat.  I have 2 cieling hooks near the front of the car.  I have pieces of what have you like choke cherry, and ocean spray on those hooks. It drys in half the time
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 08:04:07 pm »
My sinew backed osage bow has set in less than 20% humidity for three weeks with some air flow around it.  I tillered her out and have shot her 100 times, lost maybe 1" of reflex.
It seamed very dry. did I not let it cure long enough???  Can I expect issues with tiller due to drying sinew?  I have never seen in my research a good answer to this question.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 08:32:11 pm »
I can only give my theory Bassmaster Bill. Take from it what you wish. I hear the word "cure" a lot regarding sinew. This sinew was 2 years old and stored open air. Isnt it already cured? Im thinking dry glue is more important. If you weigh it after 2-3 weeks and again every day for a week after that and its doesn't move. Id say its as good as it going to get. Ive never had a tiller change on any sinewed bow Ive done. Ive never had the hide glue crack and make any noises, Ive never had it separate and Ive never gained or lost any very noticeable weight. Maybe Im lucky, or maybe my sinew was "cured" just right. Lord knows.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 08:43:36 pm »
Well I understand everything your saying Pearl, but the only thing you have said that is definite is weighing the bow. and as you said if the sinew is dry and cured when you start, then it just the glue moisture that needs to be removed.  This is some good food for thought, but I think my bow was dry and ready to work.  I will keep an eye on it and report any issue/changes that come up.  With this being my first sinewed bow I'm really taking notes.

Good post, Thanks to everyone for posting info it's really interesting.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline adb

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 09:34:00 am »
Can't wait to see you finish this one up Chris!