Author Topic: What arrows do I need?  (Read 2314 times)

Offline emd023

What arrows do I need?
« on: January 20, 2014, 02:05:34 pm »
My first bow is almost complete. its an ELB thats going to be around 30#. Id like to have some arrows to shoot with before I begin making my own. Im looking for a cheap set of arrows to buy but not sure which type is suitable for my bow? Also my next bow will be around 50#. Does the type of arrow change depending on draw weight? Thanks

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: What arrows do I need?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:16:35 pm »
Just make some arrows!  Might as well go ahead and start learning.  Also, we're not supposed to sell stuff on here unless we're advertisers.  I'm sure you could trade for a set of arrows.  There are simple arrows that you can make that will do fine.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline dbb

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 04:41:29 pm »
as a rule of thumb the higher drawweigth the stiffer the arrow needs to be.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 05:01:41 pm »
Width of the handle affects spine too.
For your yew bow you will probably need 20-25# spines and leave them full length as you can always cut them down a 1/2 in at a time to get good flight.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 08:59:38 pm »
What's your draw length? For a thirty pound bow you could get a set of youth arrows from 3Rivers Archery for like $16.00 for 6. If you have any trade goods I'm sure someone would make u=you up a set in the Trading post. hint hint 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Scottski

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 10:01:47 pm »
I like making arrows.that are not that hard once you get the hang of it.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 10:43:59 pm »
I prefer third world unanesthetized dental surgery from a bone-in-the-nose witch doctor with hangnails than making arrows.  Some time when you have an hour or so to kill, let me tell you how I really feel.

Fact is, any bow will shoot just fine.  But only good arrows shoot well.  The better the arrows, the better the archer.  I encourage you to get started making arrows, and not just make good-enough arrows, but put your passion into them.  It will serve you well, the craft of arrowsmithing. 

And then when you get good at making arrows, you can make 'em for me!   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 07:26:59 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D JW you always make my day. ;) ;D as far as arrows,what Jawges said is what I would do until you get started on making your own. You can cut the 25/30 down a bit if you build a heavier bow to increase the spine.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 12:47:14 am »
Buy some wooden dowels from the hardware store..Get some straight stiff ones, find a youtube video, and make some arrows. Feathers can be found at the local turkey farm, or ask around on the trade board. Artificial sinew will work until you either kill a deer or make use of a road kill. a Good dowel will run about .99, a fair one .79...Good luck
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.