Author Topic: Arrow Shifts from Peach and Apple Tree shoots  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Forest_Farmer

• The best things in life are not things,,,,,,!
Arrow Shifts from Peach and Apple Tree shoots
« on: January 19, 2014, 12:42:14 pm »
I'm helping a friend prune his peach orchard and we trim out many very straight and dense shoots ranging from 1/2" to 3/4" at the base and tapering to about 1/4" over 4ft.   These shoots look like they would make great hard and heavy arrows. no pithy core, fine grained and dense. I have access to a LOT of them, and though they would be an good alternative to river cane if you don't have any near by, or if you want a heavier arrow. 

Anyone have any knowledge on using peach wood for shafts?  Let me know if you think it's worth the time to collect them, and if you have any tips on drying and processing them. 

This is my first post to the PA site and as you can tell I'm still a newbie to primitive archery.  I got hooked on it last spring when bought a copy of PA while in Cabelas and read an article on the Tennessee classic. So I called Pappy and went to the classic and made my first bow with Matt Wirwicki as my teacher.  Now I can't go into the woods without looking for materials. 

My friends who shoot wheelie bows think I've lost my marbles, but I think If I find marbles big enough I'll learn from the fine folks on this forum how to make points from them.  lol
Ed, aka Forest Farmer
When I stop learning please put me in a box!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Arrow Shifts from Peach and Apple Tree shoots
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 01:45:08 pm »
Welcome to the forum!

Those peach shoots should make great arrows.  Try peeling a few now and see if the split when drying.  Leave the bark on the others.  Seal all the ends with something waterproof like melted wax, titebond glue, varnish, or whatever.  Go 1" to 2" up onto the shaft from the ends.

If the peeled ones split, you know that you have to leave the bark on when drying.  You can bundle them tightly when drying but they will shrink a little and the bundles will have to re-tied during drying unless you use something elastic.  You can also leave them untied but they will be harder to straighten later.  To know if they are dry, weigh them periodically and when they have stopped losing weight, they are dry enough to work.  They will dry a little more after the bark has been peeled off, so wait a couple weeks before you spine test them.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Forest_Farmer

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 09:53:57 pm »
Thanks for the info Pat. I will try the peel / seal test and let you know how it works.

I also wanted to let you know that I've been watching your vids on YouTube and reading your knapping Q and A in PA. Great stuff and I can't wait to start braking some rocks!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 10:15:59 pm »
Cool.  Looking forward to the results.

Thanks for letting me know that you like the flintknapping stuff.  Always good to hear.   :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 01:16:40 pm »
You sure picked some fine mentors to get you started making bows! Can't get any better folks than Pappy and Matt Wirwicki!

I think I'm going to try the same thing. I have a neighbor with a sizable orchard, I suspect he'll let me have some shoots. Figure we have nothing to lose except ... arrows! Thanks for the idea.

Offline Forest_Farmer

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 02:06:31 pm »
Hey Pelioguy,
I actually started to help the farmer with the pruning a couple of years ago and we have became good friends. I also help him out by being the sole person who helps control the deer population on the farm .    ;D

It's a win, win for both parties and now If I can make arrows form the tree trimmings it's a bonus!  Did I mention that I also found several Osage trees on the property that he's let me cull out for him.  Double bonus!!!!

My goal this year is to make a bow, arrows and sinew string with materials from the farm and take my first primitive deer this coming fall.  I've taken plenty of deer off the farm with wheelie bows and muzzle loaders but doing now a self bow made from the farms materials will be extra special. 

The full circle of life, love it!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 02:48:16 pm »
Hey Pelioguy,
I actually started to help the farmer with the pruning a couple of years ago and we have became good friends. I also help him out by being the sole person who helps control the deer population on the farm .    ;D

It's a win, win for both parties and now If I can make arrows form the tree trimmings it's a bonus!  Did I mention that I also found several Osage trees on the property that he's let me cull out for him.  Double bonus!!!!

My goal this year is to make a bow, arrows and sinew string with materials from the farm and take my first primitive deer this coming fall.  I've taken plenty of deer off the farm with wheelie bows and muzzle loaders but doing now a self bow made from the farms materials will be extra special. 

The full circle of life, love it!

Good stuff !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !