Author Topic: deflexing a stiff handle?  (Read 1802 times)

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
deflexing a stiff handle?
« on: January 24, 2014, 07:20:30 pm »
Just wondering if anyone with experience could chime in with their thoughts on deflexing a stiff handle bow? Steam vs heatgun? or keep looking for a naturally deflexed candidate? Thanks

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: deflexing a stiff handle?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 07:37:21 pm »
I've been doing most of my bends with dry heat, no oil.  Handles as well, but I would steam if your asking for a bunch of movement.  I think it's safer, and dry heat is just easier for me.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 08:07:40 pm »
I've done a few in the last month or so. Some I cut the thickness down to around an inch in the handle, deflected with a heat gun then built it back up with wood. Others I just deflected right out of the fades. The latter is not as pleasing to the eye but get the job done just as well.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 04:11:22 am »
It really depends on the wood but i've had good sucess with dry heat and some oil.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 11:04:59 am »
deflex before you cut the fades in or you risk popping the handle off. The thicker you leave it  the more likely it will split   and harder to bend. Will H steered you in the right direction. 1" should be plenty for a stiff handle.

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 11:12:57 am »
Its for an osage bow. Thanks for the advice fellas. 

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 03:21:19 pm »
I've done it similar to Will H but with steam.  works well.  I like to cut the fades after the bending has been done like lostarrow said. 
Dry heat is probably better since you have more time to work and more control but both will work.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 03:33:43 pm »
I roughed out the stave today leaving it about 1 1/4" thick the whole length.  I was surprised how easy it was to bend such a thick piece once it got up to temp from the heat gun, but then again it doesn't take much movement in the handle to get the desired outcome either.