Author Topic: Advice - build info on static recurve with brush nocks  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Sidmand

Advice - build info on static recurve with brush nocks
« on: February 18, 2014, 05:17:17 pm »
Hello all.  Long time lurker, I love this forum.  I have a 68ish inch hickory stave that I want to turn into a static recurve with brush nocks.  However, I have never tried this before.  On a stave, if you were going to have brush nocks, would you just leave extra wood on the tips prior to bending/steaming, or would you glue on extra wood after bending steaming.  Looking for majority opinion from the experienced bowyers on here.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Blaflair2

Re: Advice - build info on static recurve with brush nocks
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 06:07:33 pm »
Steam bend the recurve then flaten the belly of it and glue on ur blocks or lams for grumleys
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 06:11:11 pm »
The original Grumley bows had a thick tip bent to shape and then the brush nock was shaped from the thick section. Bending wood of that thickness can be  a challenge so it is better to bend a thinner section and then build it up with either another bent piece(or pieces) or cut a curved section with a bandsaw and finesse it to your curve before gluing it on.
 The later Grumley bows used multiple pieces of wood of various thicknesses.
 Here's a close up of one I did by cutting a piece to match the curve.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:33:22 pm »
What kind of wood do you have in that bow PatM?  That looks great, the Grumley style tip was what I was thinking about with this stave.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 10:24:44 pm »
That's  bulletwood with a thin hickory backing. The recurved portion is spliced in elm steam bent to shape. The  large brush nock is bulletwood also. There is an underlay of bulletwood covering the spliced in recurve portion. You may be able to faintly see that.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 10:40:34 pm »
What is bullet wood?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 10:58:39 pm »
Massaranduba.