Author Topic: Hickory with boaskin  (Read 4813 times)

Offline Will H

Re: Hickory with boaskin
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 08:27:36 am »
Nice!  :o
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline dbb

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 12:57:06 pm »
Thanks guys  :) and thanks .
It is getting easier to see what needs to be done,guess im learning  :o
Looks just right. Are you going to do anything special to try and keep the hickory as dry as possible.
Only thing done is heattreating the #¤%& out of it  and sealing it with tungoil. And dry storingplace of course.

nice, i got a hickory bow with boa skins on it too.  can we get a good look at the skins?
Here are a pic or two more.

The skin is split lenghtwise,this is from the bellyscales up to the "ladderpattern" on the back.
Hoping to get two more bows out of this skin.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Stringman

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 01:58:02 pm »
Thats a nice piece a work there! I hope you don't have any trouble with the handle wanting to pop off. Otherwise beautiful tiller!!

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 02:33:15 pm »
pretty skins.

Offline WillS

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 03:00:38 pm »
That's stunning!  I always forget that you guys in the States call Common Boas or Boa Constrictor Imperator "redtails" whereas in the UK a "redtail" has to be a Suriname/Guyanan red-tailed boa, or Boa Constrictor Constrictor 

I've never seen anybody back a bow with a BCC Red Tail yet but it would look amazing.  Maybe when one of my breeder females dies I'll use that.

Sorry, snake geek alert.  Nice bow!

Offline dbb

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 06:52:30 pm »
That's stunning!  I always forget that you guys in the States call Common Boas or Boa Constrictor Imperator "redtails" whereas in the UK a "redtail" has to be a Suriname/Guyanan red-tailed boa, or Boa Constrictor Constrictor 

I've never seen anybody back a bow with a BCC Red Tail yet but it would look amazing.  Maybe when one of my breeder females dies I'll use that.

Sorry, snake geek alert.  Nice bow!
Im an old herpetologist myself (snake geek in finer words  ;D )I just call it what all other here name it,if i spout latin and subspecies almost no one would understand me.
But i agree that pure redtail is a B.c.c ,that said in sweden (where im from) many B.c are hybrids due to bad breeding sadly.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline WillS

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 07:11:13 pm »
(Apologies for off topic chat!)

It's not much different here in the UK.  Lots of people are breeding BCC with BCI because just having "BCC" in the name is enough to sell for a lot more, but they still look like muddy BCI.

Anyway.  Great bow!