Author Topic: I continued with the tiller!  (Read 4635 times)

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
I continued with the tiller!
« on: January 12, 2014, 08:41:11 pm »
Hey guys this is my second board bow and I am taking the tillering really slow on this one because last bow I rushed way to fast it caused lots of problems. Anyways I have a long string on it now and I have been working on getting the whole limb to bend, but when exercising the limb at 10 inches the upper left limb looks like it has a bad hinge it just came up and surprised me! So can someone tell me what I should do to get it bending normal and also hows the rest of the tiller look?

unbraced

pulled to ten inches

Also at what length should I get it pulling to till I change the string length and should the length be three inches shorter correct?
Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:48:45 am by Barefoot_Jake »
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Help with tiller please!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 09:05:41 pm »
  Fades are moving well... stay off for now and work on outer thirds a bit. Once you get the outers bending you will be near low brace time.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 09:14:44 pm »
I agree with burchett - out towards the red basket in the background.  A tiller gizmo would help on a bow like that -if you don't have one search it and you will find how to make one.  On the string length - I would not attempt to brace for the first time with a 3" shorter than bow string.  Start with a very low brace and work your way up.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 10:34:57 pm »
.... and tighten up that long string - as short as you can get it!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Barefoot_Jake

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 11:23:45 pm »
Alright thanks guys for all the help I used my gizmo to work on it till I got to this

Il shorten up the string next time!
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 12:05:06 am »
It is looking good to my eyes.  I would try to get it to low brace now.  I would also not leave it drawn too long on your tillering tree while taking pics - especially after you get it braced and start increasing draw length.  I don't think it stresses it too much with the long string and only moving the tips 6" like you have done so far - but later on as you increase draw length it will induce some set (or worse).
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 03:43:36 am »
you should be able to go to a low brace say 3", looking good, always keep the "long string" as tight as you can get it ;), bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 04:12:35 am »
I don't think it's ready to be braced yet. The left limb is weak. You seem to have got rid of that spot out of the fade where it was bending too much - which is good but That area is really the worst place to get set. You could have caught that spot  by being a bit more careful and checking with the gizmo. When using a 'long string' it should be virtually tight against the belly, if not and it's longer the way the tips bend will be different by the time you actually brace it, they may bend too much due to the angle they are being pulled.
If you don't mind me asking why the barefoot bit in your name?

Offline Barefoot_Jake

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 05:25:01 pm »
I don't think it's ready to be braced yet. The left limb is weak. You seem to have got rid of that spot out of the fade where it was bending too much - which is good but That area is really the worst place to get set. You could have caught that spot  by being a bit more careful and checking with the gizmo. When using a 'long string' it should be virtually tight against the belly, if not and it's longer the way the tips bend will be different by the time you actually brace it, they may bend too much due to the angle they are being pulled.
If you don't mind me asking why the barefoot bit in your name?

Yeah I will shorten up the string to bow length still trying to figure out timber hitch knot it kept slipping on me so I stuck with that lol and the name come from when I was  young I would never wear shoes outside so I was notorious for being barefoot.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 07:39:56 pm »
If the timber hitch is slipping, try wrapping the dally another time around.  Mine slip on some and this works for me.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Barefoot_Jake

Re: I continued with the tiller!
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 04:51:08 am »
So here it is now pulled at 15 inches on a string as long as the bow, the right limb all needs to be weakened to be level with the left correct? Also are my tips bending enough? Thanks!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 06:36:48 am »
Brace it now, with a low brace height (about 3" or so) and do not continue with the long string. If you linger on the long string for too long, you'll come in underweight and/or weak tips. If you draw an imaginary straight line from nock to nock, you can see the bow appears about braced at a full brace height. That is the time to switch to a short string.
This is also the time to measure the draw weight and monitor it as you progress tillering.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 09:06:59 am »
 Jake, a few more scrapes on the right limb in the center to level things out. Then low brace with a string 2 inches shorter than the nocks. I don't like to brace an uneven tiller...Things can go crazy if one limb is way stronger than the other. JMHO, your right limb looks way stronger than the left...

I think your left fade will take a serious beating from the right limb if you don't, may cause some set.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:12:46 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 10:22:52 pm »
A 4 inch straight edge here will tell you everything you need to know.  I would shorten up the draw length, as it is somewhat obvious the limbs are not even.  I say this not to be scolding in any way, just making the point that you don't need to draw it that far to see the problem, so don't.  You will keep your limbs from compressing too much in the weak spots and causing irreversible set, or worse.  Back it down to say 10 inches and run the straight edge along the left limb, it's your weak one and will be what determines the final weight when it's right.  Get the gap even from fade to tip, no narrow gaps or wide gaps anywhere, even.  Now do the same on the right limb (at 10 inches) and get it even from fade to tip.  Once it is even, check the symmetry of the 2 limbs.  If the right is still stiffer, but the bend is good, you can scrape wood from the entire limb until it matches the weight of the other.  All of this is at 10 inches on the stick.  When it's all even, go to 11 or 12 inches and check it there, same process as before.  Good there, go to 13-14 inches and check it again, all the while keeping the gaps even and the weights even.  Slowly work your way back to 15 inches only when it's right at 14 inches.  Your doing what I used to do, rushing thru hoping to get it finished.  Your at step 10 and flew by steps 3-9.
(EDIT) You are getting close, just trying to keep you from rushing it and messing it up.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:01:25 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 04:10:28 am »
Ah, I was interested because I run barefoot all the time now. Shoes suck!
Anyway take the advice already given with your bow - good luck.