Author Topic: Coyote skull  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Coyote skull
« on: January 06, 2014, 06:09:17 pm »
My buddy at work has a friend that traps. He brought me a skull. With EVERYTHING on it crept the hide. What's the beat way to clean it? Boiling?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline bubby

Re: Coyote skull
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 06:19:59 pm »
osage outlaw did a how to on European mounts, most of the info is there
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:23:26 pm »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 06:23:52 pm »
Boil the skull.. Not a hard boil add baking soda will act as a degreaser.. When meat is cooked use power washer to clean it.. might need a couple treatments don't go crazy with the washer... Wear a rainsuit... Don't ask..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 06:50:08 pm »
Skin it out and remove as much soft material as you can then boil it and remove the rest of the soft stuff.
 If you have a taxidermist he probably had beetles that remove everything but the bone and hair.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 08:03:22 pm »
Watch the teeth.  They will probably fall out and can be lost in the mush that ends up at the bottom of the pan.  If you have an old crock pot those work great for small skulls.  Let it cook on high over night and it will be ready to be cleaned in the morning.  If you want it white you will need some strong peroxide from your local beauty supply store.  Blast the brains out with water before cooking it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 10:08:43 pm »
Watch the teeth.  They will probably fall out and can be lost in the mush that ends up at the bottom of the pan.  If you have an old crock pot those work great for small skulls.  Let it cook on high over night and it will be ready to be cleaned in the morning.  If you want it white you will need some strong peroxide from your local beauty supply store.  Blast the brains out with water before cooking it.

Blasting the brains out BEFORE cooking will go a long ways towards keeping the skull whiter longer.  The brains are really fatty and if you leave them in the skull as it cooks, it will soak into the bone and eventually start to yellow the bone. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.