Author Topic: Del's Bows on TV on YouTube now  (Read 10231 times)

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Re: Del's Bows on TV on YouTube now
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2014, 03:10:44 am »
Awesome deal Del, pretty mean war face you got there  >:(  Awesome bows.  Oh the NSA is already getting us, probably you too@! ;)

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2014, 05:03:22 am »
Arrrggg how did I miss this? I've been watching Tudor Monastery  Farm and loving every minute of it yet somehow missed this Christmas episode.  Must watch now!  Del - brilliant stuff - and they have footage too of you making a bow?  We insist the BBC releases this in the national interest  :D 

NB for anyone who doesnt know this was filmed at the Weald and Downland Open Air Museum which is awesome and one of my favourite places to visit.

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 06:50:17 am »
Worth watching just for your bows Del. I did however find it a little disconcerting that they kept banging on about it being winter and the solstice etc. but all the trees had summer foliage. Again though your bit was awesome!

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 06:56:14 am »
Nice footage! It's just so hard to convince people to let go of the string as soon as they reach full draw... beginners and archers alike  :P
Don't shoot!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 07:04:06 am »
Arrrggg how did I miss this? I've been watching Tudor Monastery  Farm and loving every minute of it yet somehow missed this Christmas episode.  Must watch now!  Del - brilliant stuff - and they have footage too of you making a bow?  We insist the BBC releases this in the national interest  :D 

NB for anyone who doesnt know this was filmed at the Weald and Downland Open Air Museum which is awesome and one of my favourite places to visit.
Cheers, I was a bit miffed that they wouldn't even let me see the other footage for my personal use! It was a glorious summers day on the South Downs when we filmed it. I pleased that I didn't sound like an ass, that's the beauty of being mic'd up, after a while you forget and they get nice natural footage.
Mind I did wonder what the heck was going on at the end of the day when this bloke came up and shoved his hand up my shirt! :o He was retrieving the mic! :laugh:
Here's a shot of the filming... I think my mate Roy was a tad distracted. :-* She was one of the crew/researcher, the other researcher was gorgeous too. After the filming we got them shooting the little Hazel bow that Ruth Goodman is shooting in the pic. They both really got it and enjoyed having a go :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 07:05:23 am »
Nice footage! It's just so hard to convince people to let go of the string as soon as they reach full draw... beginners and archers alike  :P
Yeah, I do believe "Don't fanny about" is in fact  the correct medieval expression ;D O:)
Del

Offline adb

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2014, 12:07:46 pm »
Brilliant doc video! Thanks for sharing!

Offline Whitebeam

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2014, 01:12:57 pm »
How do you keep the bark on the Hazel Del? The only times I've tried this it's pinged off. Is it to do with the season it was harvested?

Peter

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2014, 02:02:55 pm »
How do you keep the bark on the Hazel Del? The only times I've tried this it's pinged off. Is it to do with the season it was harvested?

Peter
Luck mostly, I rub it with linseed oil and planty of beeswax polish to keep it supple. I've had it stay on a 35 and 40# bow. But I've also had it lift on a 40#
I do it as a way of keeping a clean back, if it stays on fine, ifr not, I'll pick it off.
Del