Author Topic: Fletchings?  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Scottski

Fletchings?
« on: January 10, 2014, 12:34:40 pm »
Ok there are a lot of people always asking where is the best place to get bamboo. I can find that or cut my own cane. So my question is where do I find cheap turkey feathers? Only cause that's what I prefer. I can't seem to find a good source. Friends tell me they will give me there turkey wings but never come through for me.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Fletchings?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 01:16:35 pm »
Check out "Matt G" on here. Or, slap an ad up in the Trading Post and get some.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 10:17:30 pm »
customfeathers.com  I just ordered a dozen tail feathers from them.  They do zone shipping, the claim it saves the customer money but I don't know.  All I can say is that they ship fast.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:31:10 pm by Pat B »

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 11:56:11 pm »
Get friendly with folks at a poultry house. Get some camo, a turkey call and a blunderbuss.
I don't think I ever saw a turkey road kill. Good luck. I have found some where turkeys are constantly around
but not many.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 02:06:56 am »
Once in a while you can find some good deals at Native American craft stores. They're used for bustles and dance regalia. A Navajo told me about some source for feathers online called Moonlight or some dang thang. Bigger powwows sometimes have them at the craft booths.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline SamIAm

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 05:46:26 pm »
I live in an area where turkey hunting is a "big" sport, lots of turkey, lots of hunters.  I always have to pass the word just a week or so before season, otherwise they forget.  Never used tail feathers, just wing feathers.
"To thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 05:58:50 pm »
Tail feathers work well for some styles of fletching.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Scottski

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 10:23:53 pm »
I have a few tail feathers but have never tried them for fletchings.I thought they were to soft for arrows.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 11:02:41 pm »
I have a few tail feathers but have never tried them for fletchings.I thought they were to soft for arrows.

They work best for the eastern woodland two fletch style.  Jackcrafty did this thread quite some time ago http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=13025.0  even though he used secondary wing feathers, tail feathers work just the same way.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:08:08 pm by Mike_H »

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 11:42:09 am »
Not sure what you are looking for but I have many split and ground secondary and tail feathers.  These are ready to be used.  You can either use them full length and uncut or chop them to the shape you want. Most are left wing.

Understand the secondaries and tail feathers are a weaker feather than the primaries but these are still nice feathers to use.