Author Topic: Ninebark  (Read 1648 times)

Don Case

Ninebark
« on: January 03, 2014, 07:30:02 pm »
I cut a ninebark limb today. Any seasoning advice? Treat it like OS?
Thanks
Don

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Ninebark
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 08:28:42 pm »
I've never heard of nine bark. Does it have another name? You got any pics? Thanks!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 08:58:46 pm »
Never found it quite big enough, so not much I can help you with, but yes I would treat it like OS.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 09:01:24 pm »
I've never heard of nine bark. Does it have another name? You got any pics? Thanks!

Tattoo Dave
(Physocarpus) a deciduous shrub...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Don Case

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 09:20:06 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physocarpus
It has bark kinda sorta like some junipers. Many layers hence the name. I was surprised to find dark heartwood when I cut it. It should look nice even if it doesn't make a good bow. I cut a bit off the end and put it in a cup of water. It sank, but it was fresh cut and very wet. The water was dripping out of the stave. I have the piece in the oven now, will figure out the SG tomorrow. The stave doesn't feel as heavy as OS.  The Nuu-chah-nulth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuu-chah-nulth_people) made childrens bows from it. The Cowichan ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowichan_Tribes ) make knitting needles from it.
Sorry you asked?  ;)
Don

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 11:17:16 pm »
yes in my limited experience it is just like Ocean Spray. I have made darts from it but never tried a bow....
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 12:14:38 am »
From what I've been told from some old timers nine bark makes a very nice shooting bow. 
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 08:43:40 pm »
I've made two bows from ninebark The first one was from a 3/4 inch piece. It pulls 25 # at 26 inches. The other is 1" diameter, and I'm not sure what it pulls, but I think it's about  30 #. I have a bunch of dry staves that are much bigger that I am planning to make a more powerful bow from. I will keep you posted on that one!                Dale   
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Don Case

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 11:00:26 pm »
The SG is around .8 or less so it may be alright :D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:45:40 pm by Don C »