Author Topic: Belated gift and some work.  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Parnell

Belated gift and some work.
« on: December 30, 2013, 07:28:16 pm »
Well I was really excited to finally get my first Overstreet guide, today.  My wife said there would be a slight delay with the release of it.  Soooo much stuff to check out!

Also, some things from the last couple days.  Broke this pre-form this morning and I was pissed.  Ugh.  That's my first time breaking a half way decent effort.  I'm treating coral, though.

Got an Osage bow going also, Eddie.  Only 1 and 1/8th wide so I'm going long!  Maybe 68-70" with some sweeping curves.  I'll keep ya posted on that.    Got some cane shafts ready today, too.  I've got some new feathers Angie surprised me with for Christmas.  Some yellow/chartreuse barred and HOT PINK!  They'll look cool with stone points!

All in all a really good day. 
1’—>1’

Offline iowabow

Re: Belated gift and some work.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:57:39 pm »
Look like your off to a good start! Too bad about that preform it was looking good to.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 07:58:36 pm »
Nice gifts, ya gotta go easy on the heat treated coral. It will have you in tears.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 09:19:46 pm »
You're well on your way to an awesome journey.  But in this case, the best part is the destination.  The journey is a partial vacuum.   ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 09:55:18 pm »
Hey Parnell, not trying to be a wise guy but looks like your middle is thin, thin your ends first and your middle last, and no use getting mad when ya break one, It happens to even the best. :o Remember it is just a rock until you haft it or put in your keeper case ;D ;D. Looks like ya got a real good start to your knapping career. Bob

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 10:29:12 pm »
Hey Parnell, not trying to be a wise guy but looks like your middle is thin, thin your ends first and your middle last, and no use getting mad when ya break one, It happens to even the best. :o Remember it is just a rock until you haft it or put in your keeper case ;D ;D. Looks like ya got a real good start to your knapping career. Bob

Hi Bob,  I'll be taking all the advice/comments I can get!  I've got loads to learn...I'll look at that, thanks buddy.
1’—>1’

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 04:44:32 am »
I told Bob years ago to get that book..LOL Loads to learn and loads of busted rock will be dumped...that's one thing that sucks in this game... Ive been learning completely new rock and new technique and it feel like Im back at square one..yep gone through about 1000lbs to make a dozen pointsand blades... not a great ratio.  But it looks like your getting a feel and off to a good start.  It takes time, practice and patience..maybe a few bandaids!

BTW Nice book I didn't know they had a 13th edition but Im sure not much has changed.  I do recommend it for a good picture reference to compare especially if u want to make points from areas with the stone in which it was made from!

Good luck!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill