Author Topic: Maple/Ipe/Ipe est mort!  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Heffalump

Maple/Ipe/Ipe est mort!
« on: January 20, 2014, 08:44:44 am »
Had a lovely time shooting in the Hertfordshire sunshine at Wadesmill yesterday afternoon with a good mate of mine. I'd been shooting about an hour or so when there was a terrific "crack" and my 110# maple-backed ipe warbow died on me at full draw  :o Top limb just sheered completely off about a third of the way down, found a small patch that appeared to have pinged off the belly at the centre of the top-limb so suspect that this is where the problem lay  :(  I had a quarter pound arrow on the string as well, could have been very nasty, but the gods smiled and everything went its merry way missing me completely....

Forced to take a rather fierce 120# Joe Gibbs laminate out of its bag, strung it and was throwing 1/4lb'ers out to 200yds for the first time on the adrenaline buzz! Silver linings and all that!  ;D

http://youtu.be/es4-c4tnNSQ
Semper Specto in Vitae Parte Clara

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Maple/Ipe/Ipe est mort!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 09:25:56 am »
Mmmmmm Mr Smooth draw... smoother than a pair of silk undies ::)
That's one that broke was one you let me have a go with the other weekend? It was a nice shooting bow.
I hope you give it a good burial....  :'(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Heffalump

Re: Maple/Ipe/Ipe est mort!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 08:23:53 am »
Mmmmmm Mr Smooth draw... smoother than a pair of silk undies ::)
That's one that broke was one you let me have a go with the other weekend? It was a nice shooting bow.
I hope you give it a good burial....  :'(
Del

The very same one Del, t'was a really sweet shooter  :( 110# is a weight I really like at the moment, easy enough to draw, but enough weight that I have to get my stance and technique spot-on to get it back to 32". So I think a full-compass 110# flight bow might fill the gap in my warbow collection and be my no.2 selection for future Fraternity of St.George shoots......I can feel a set of barrelled oak shafted flight arrows coming on, to match  8)

TTFN,

John T.  ;D

Semper Specto in Vitae Parte Clara