Author Topic: straightening osage  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Renacs

straightening osage
« on: December 23, 2013, 11:52:27 pm »
I have a beaitiful Osage stave that ive chased 1/16” ring so far. My next challenge is straightening it. Usually I heat it in the handle, but it think ill need to heat and bend in the mid limb. Do any of u do that or does it weaken it to much? This bow is for a kids b-day Dec31 so I dont want to brake it.   The stave is approx. 60” long and about 1 3/4” wide. P.s. I know that I can leave fairly wavey but that not what they want). They still have the fiberglass mentality. Thanks and happy newyrs. Eve eve.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: straightening osage
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 12:16:40 am »
Osage manipulates well with heat and it will not hurt the wood unless you over do it. I'd say to get the bow to floor tiller first at least and first brace would be better so you can line the string along with any other straightening.
 How about some pics.   You know, the only to break the FG mentality is cold turkey. Build a beautiful, well tillered bow and show them what a crooket stik can do.
 You could reduce the width to 1 1/2" also. That would give you more thickness to work with.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 12:54:24 am »
Heat the limb from the belly side.  I like to hold pressure on the limb in the direction I want it to bend.  Once I hit that sweet spot on temperature I can feel the limb start to move.  I'll heat it just a tad more and then clamp it.  A caul makes it easier. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 01:47:35 am »
That's pretty wide. So maybe u can narrow it and account for some of the waves. I have a 50# osage bow 62" long that is 1 1/8"
Nothing ventured nothing gained