Author Topic: Building vs. Shooting  (Read 1734 times)

Offline RyanR

Building vs. Shooting
« on: December 21, 2013, 10:26:13 pm »
Well I finally got out and shot a couple of bows I have recently made. Seems I have been spending more time building than shooting. Was kind of nice for a change. Anyone else ever notice that?

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Building vs. Shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 10:34:02 pm »
Well I finally got out and shot a couple of bows I have recently made. Seems I have been spending more time building than shooting. Was kind of nice for a change. Anyone else ever notice that?

Yeah, I need to shoot more, that is for sure.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 10:40:17 pm »
I spend much more time building than shooting.  This fall I made myself shoot every day that I was off work.  I shot more this fall than I have the last several years combined.  It payed off with my first primitive bow kill.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 11:12:32 pm »
I'll shoot one in once it's finished up and then might not shoot it again as I've moved on to the next one.  I have a few favorites that get pulled out when I do shoot for fun or practice, but it seems I'm usually shooting the one I'm working on now.  Friendly get togethers I will pull some out that I haven't touched in a while and shoot them some.  I used to shoot nearly every day, now...not enough.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 11:27:38 pm »
Shooting is in the pud'n :-\ :-\
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 01:33:47 am »
I used to shoot at least 2 dozen arrows every day, no matter what the weather was. I'd get home from work, change my cloths and grab my bow and quiver and head outside. I hardly shoot much anymore and it showed when I missed the 8pt at Chris Cade's farm.  >:(    I'm looking forward to getting into building a few bows after the holidays. Its been a while for that too.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 04:35:41 am »
Lol I spend wayyyyyyyyy way more time building then shooting I don't know why it's just the urge you just wanna keep making them faster then you can enjoy them I guess
I like osage

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 05:24:30 am »
I guess im the opposite.
I spend more time shooting than building.
in the last year I have made 4 bows.
but shooting is my stress reliever.
even if its just 8 yrds in the garage.
I shoot my recurves longbows and self bows pretty regular.

Offline danny f

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 06:04:16 am »
i build more than i shoot. the main reason being you cant bow hunt over here so i have less interest to practice. if bow hunting was legal i would be shooting regularly. i need to move to somewhere better lol.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 06:38:31 am »
i build more than i shoot. the main reason being you cant bow hunt over here so i have less interest to practice. if bow hunting was legal i would be shooting regularly. i need to move to somewhere better lol.

+1
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 03:04:41 pm »
I would rather hunt than build or shoot. From september thru end of february i spend as much time as i can hunting. Im fortunate enough to have as many days off as days i work, so i have a lot of time to hunt. This year i used all of my vacation days in november so i only worked 4 days the whole month and bow hunted the rest of the month. I shoot nearly every day from sept thru november even if its only a few shots on the way to or from my stand. After deer gun season (week after thanksgiving) i bow hunt very little and shoot very little. Thats when i start rabbit hunting with my father untill end of february when season ends. I dont do much if any bow building during this time unless the weather is to bad to hunt. Most of my bows are made from march thru may. When the weather warms up in the spring i usualy have other stuff that needs doing more than bow building or shooting (like fishing and reducing large pieces of flint ino worthless rubble). I tell myself every year that im going to spend more time shooting during the off season but i never do. Seems i get realy bored just shooting the same old target in the same old yard by myself. And i can rarely get anyone to shoot with me.
Steve Bennett

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 07:43:08 pm »
once bitten by the bug , more time building than shooting.
john 3:16