Author Topic: Arrows of Old!!!  (Read 5441 times)

Offline artcher1

Re: Arrows of Old!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 10:31:53 am »
Arrows, like bows, should also be a labor of love Matt. Personally, I can't separate the two. One's no good without the other in my mind. I made my first "really" primitive arrow right along side my first "really" primitive bow. If you're going to have fun doing this, might as well have twice the fun. ;) Thanks for the kind words..........Art

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 01:04:49 pm »
Here are a few more...as long as PB cooperates...
These are hill cane and sourwood...

This is a set of Plains style(my interpretation) arrows made with red osier shafting...

That's all PB will allow today.  >:(

Art, there is always a bundle of hill cane for you when I harvest if you want it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 01:53:51 pm »
I appreciate the offer Pat, but they would more than likely set around and collect dust. Doing very little these days because of my health. Thanks again my friend.........Art

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 02:05:17 pm »
Just let me know if you ever want some.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 02:33:04 pm »
Some really awesome work  by all.  I wish I could contribute, but all mine are in no way the quality of you guys, but I will keep learning.  I know I have learned more from Art and Pat than most people should have a right to, and I really appreciate.  Just need to hone a few more skills and get to where I can compete with you guys.  Thanks for posting and giving us all something to try and be as good at.

The one thing I do know, is how to make a really nice poplar arrow from boards...lol

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2013, 04:37:16 pm »
Yes you do Charlie. I can't wait for the next batch.  ;)

Offline artcher1

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2013, 04:52:42 pm »
Last set I made from those you sent me Charles turned out great. I think there was only plus/minus 4 grains in a set of twelve. Broke that up into two sets of six and their weights were close to dead even per set.

You bet Pat........Art

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 08:07:47 pm »
Thanks guys.  I learned from the best, and still learning.

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2013, 12:27:48 am »
Your cane arrows are right up there too Charlie! Those hog heavy weights you made were beautiful!!!

The poplars are in a class of there own!!! Still shooting them.

Here's some of mine. Though not old.

Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline warrior kiwi

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 08:03:54 am »
Well I was cleaning up the other day and I dug up some very, very old arrows that I had made when I was a little boy. I must say I have improved greatly since these arrows were made but it was nice to look back and see where my interest in primitive and traditional archery was sparked  :)

this arrow was made when I was about 7 years old, I made it completely by myself and it has been shot (and repaired) many times, although the fletching has definitely seen better days. made from bracken (a very straight growing fern shoot that is common here in New Zealand)

these arrows were made at age 9 from bamboo stakes I bought at a gardening shop and craft feathers. I have about 20 of these left but these are the better condition of the bunch.

this arrow is my latest primitive style projectile from my childhood before moving on to a more traditionally 'correct' style of archery  8) again it is made from bracken and fletched with gull feathers

All arrows together with a 30" aluminium arrow for size comparison  :)

Hope that was interesting for you all.
cheers, Kaleb

Offline artcher1

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2013, 09:50:26 am »
Good stuff guys! First thing that catches my eye is straightness. You guys do a fantastic job there!

Kaleb, yes, you certainly can see where you were heading with those arrows at that young age. Thanks for posting those pics.........Art

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2013, 10:18:38 am »
Like Art, I always look at the straightness of a shoot/bamboo/hand planed dowel or what ever you started with.  I would love to see the material you started you arrow from, and then how straight you got it.  Twisted, bends,, knots, nodes, just as you cut the material, and then the finished product as straight as you could get it.  Hopefully someone or a lot will post some pictures of this.   PLEASE????

Offline artcher1

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2013, 11:45:11 am »
Charles, I think what Paul Comstock described in his book about slow-motion filming of returning bow limbs exhibiting signs of "fits and jerks", IMO, can also be said for oscillating/rotating arrows. Bows built with fewer "fits and jerks" make for a more stable shooting bow. Same can be said for arrows. So the more perfect the arrow material, the more perfect the arrow. More bends, knots, nodes, kinks, grain run-outs or what have yous, the more "fits and jerks" you'll have in the finished arrow. Key to any good arrow is proper selection to begin with..........Art

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2013, 01:41:49 pm »
Thanks Art.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2013, 09:48:17 pm »
A lot of good looking arrows poster here. I hope to make some soon.