Author Topic: order of laminations?  (Read 1418 times)

Offline BowSlayer

order of laminations?
« on: December 13, 2013, 05:27:46 pm »
Im thinking about making a laminated bow and i have acces to three woods already made up into 3mm thick lams. the woods are hickory, walnut and cherry. all three have good grain and no knots. but im not sure which order to put them in. hickory will obviously be the backing but which wood do i use for the core and which for the belly.

Do i use walnut for the core or the cherry? iv'e made a R/D form for it to sit on and im thinking of a jatoba handle/risor. how does this sound.

thanks
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: order of laminations?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 06:44:20 pm »
Neither cherry or black walnut are good in compression so I would not use either. Both would be good for core lams. Try to fine yew, osage, ipe or other compression strong woods for the belly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 04:21:23 am »
Hickory will work backing b.walnut but you will have to crown and trap the hickory.
It does actually make a good combo - i've made a few longbows like this.
Given the chance i'd just order a board of ipe. Google silva timber - they will send you a good board for not much money at all.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 05:03:10 am »
Ill check it out. Thanks.  So I should only use hikory and walnut?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 11:35:02 am »
Black walnut and cherry should make a good core.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC