Author Topic: Hi All! Anybody here in the Hillsboro/Portland Oregon area?  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Mattyp

Hi All! Anybody here in the Hillsboro/Portland Oregon area?
« on: December 03, 2013, 04:26:36 pm »
  I have three boys and they go to a Waldorf school out here in Hillsboro were we live.  They really focus on getting the children reconnected to the earth and working with it. I have been working with the kids and want to build shave horses with them and teach them to make bows, canoe paddles, rakes,.....anything that gets them connected and interested in building with their hands.  I have been studying the native people of the northwest...something I have been interested in since I was a small boy here playing in the creeks, streams, and fields wondering about those that lived here before us.  The school we are a part of have a farm property on the outskirts of town on Mckay creek, just next to Camp Ireland.  We are preparing to build the school & farm campus out there and have to take down a bunch of cedar trees.  My desire with those is to bring in a native carver and do a couple of dugout canoes and to possibly have a native weaver show us how to harvest the cedar bark and weave with it. I envision a bunch of shave horses out there, so that we can teach the children and invite the community to come out and share in our experiences.  I have begun my search for draw knives and spoke shaves and am preparing a stock of wood to make paddles, and hope to learn how to find staves for bows (another good reason to go visit Keenan again!) and get a stock of those put together.  Lots of things to do and to learn, but I am on the path and life is responding!  So excited to learn and to pass this on to the children.  I think reconnecting the kids to being outside and off of screens will help them to be more responsible, connected, contributing adults is the ticket!  I just wanted to share my excitement for the journey and see what connections I can make in my home town.  Anybody out here in Hillsboro and the surrounding area that I might meet up with and discuss skills & techniques?  I also have a heavy duty sewing business and work on canvas, leather, and other heavy duty fabric items.  Look forward to making new friends and maybe getting some shavings on the ground out at the school farm and property!
Modify message

Offline aaron

Re: Hi All! Anybody here in the Hillsboro/Portland Oregon area?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 04:41:55 pm »
there are a few on here from potrland. I'm down at the coast in ilwaco WA. you may want to check out "echoes in time" it's an evet near salem in july with classes on baskets, carving, etc..etc...
Google it!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 10:51:22 pm »
Hey there. We have a great group of bowyers in the portland area and beyond. I guarantee that someone in our ranks will be happy to help you with your process. If you're on Facebook we have a group page there where you can communicate with the group easily otherwise we have an email list that Portlandfire (AKA Dave) can get you on. We'll help you out. I'm a Montessori teacher and I'm totally on-board with your mission to get kids outside and doing hands-on activities while reconnecting with the natural world.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 01:43:37 pm »
Welcome! Yeah hit up Dave for sure! He'll connect you with all of us here in the best state in the union.
Clatskanie, Oregon