Author Topic: Limb length  (Read 1482 times)

Offline NattyBumppo

Limb length
« on: December 10, 2013, 06:36:39 pm »
As much as I would love to say I planned it, as I began to tiller the my white oak flat bow today I realized one of my limbs was 29 inches while the other was 28.  I have already cut the knock in for tillering.  The bow is 2 inches wide with a taper to 3/4 inch the last six inches.  Is it ok to just tiller with the shorter limb on the bottom (which I thought would be fine but I am now confused after reading)..or should I shorten the whole bow to even the limbs.  The bow is 67 inches currently.  I dropped an inch for the knock on each end when I  cut them in

Thanks for any advice.
Natty

blackhawk

Re: Limb length
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 06:52:44 pm »
Continue on and leave it be and focus all your efforts into making a nice even balanced bend,and learning to see flaws  that need corrected before pulling it any further

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 08:25:58 pm »
In an asymmetric bow design the bottom limb is shorter....but like Chris said,

"...focus all your efforts into making a nice even balanced bend, and learning to see flaws that need corrected before pulling it any further'

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 09:04:46 pm »
Shouldn't be a problem at all.  I as well as many others have a shorter bottom limb by design often times.  Ditto what blackhawk said.

Offline NattyBumppo

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 01:51:47 pm »
Thank you everyone for your help.   I will post pictures when it is done.
N