Author Topic: at what age  (Read 3245 times)

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
Re: at what age
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 08:24:17 pm »
It depends on the maturity  of the kid and whether he views such things as toys or tools.   I was a a small primitive skills gather and there is an 8 year old boy there and he has a 8" Gerber Bear Grylls knife on his belt and he is scraping wood to start a fire, and he is doing all sorts of stuff. He started all the fires for the camps that weekend himself.  I have known him for several years and he always had this knife. When I first saw it I thought he was awful young.  So this year, half pullin his leg and wanting his reaction I said "Billy, What is an 8 year old like you playing with a big knife like that." He looked at me real serious like and said   I am not playing with it, I am using it" It was the best answer he could have given and I was quite impressed with the awareness he had for his tool and what it was to be used for. All weekend long I never once saw him use it in an inappropriate way.  He was way ahead of my boys who are both 10 and I would not give them a knife like that to carry. But he proved himself to me he was worthy. Your own kids will need to do that also.  You know him best tho.

So I think it is all in how they are taught and get used to using.  You know him best tho.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 11:41:17 pm »
Billy is welcome in my camp anytime.  :)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 09:29:54 am »
I started both my son's at the same age i started....my 7 year old carries a "his" knife only when hunting/trapping/camping/fishing with me or granpa. If his younger brother is around or any friends, it goes up....not that i don't trust my son, I don't trust the kids around him.

The bigger issue for me is keeping him from talking about it or the stuff he likes (guns,bows,hunting,trapping) at school.....we had a "meeting" with the principal because a teacher over heard him discussing "shooting" his .22 at recess with another boy.    ::)
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan