Author Topic: sacrificing width for length?  (Read 1654 times)

Offline echatham

sacrificing width for length?
« on: December 11, 2013, 11:33:54 am »
figured I'd throw another "dimensions" question out there  >:D.  working on a stave with a good bit of character, and a moderately high crown.  Im going to follow the standard bend test as per TBB vol 1 to base my dimensions on.  but its got me thinking, and i haven't seen anything in my readings yet, but do you guys have some way of determining how much longer you need to make a bow if you need to make it narrower due to crown available width of the stave?  decrowning is not really an option for this stave, and you'll see why when i post pictures  ;).   this stave will allow 68" and im going to use every bit of it.... im really just asking the question because i was wondering and i haven't come across any rules or guidelines.  i figure something like if you have to make it a quarter inch narrower then make it 3 inches longer or somethin like that?

this could be useful info for another bow in the works, black locust billets that will only allow me 1.5" width.

Offline Badger

Re: sacrificing width for length?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 11:51:26 am »
  The only rule I know of is more of a strategy than a rule. If you feel you are challenged in width you select a style that allows for the most bending wood with the least amount of stress. The style in your case would be paralell limbs most of the way out to the tips and if neccesary a bendy handle bow. Get the mid limbs working pretty good and as neccessary move your bend in closer to the handle. You know when you need to do this if you start to detect some set in the bow. If you are positive going in that your width is not enough you may want to go bendy handle right out of the gate.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 03:49:29 pm »
Also depends on what type of wood you are using
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 04:03:23 pm »
Not that I'd know too much about it, but since you throw the disussion:

Lenght is obviously way better than width. In fact, width is just a lamentable substitute for lenght.

;)
Don't shoot!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 10:01:33 am »
Sound like you'll be making an ELB  :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline echatham

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 10:48:33 am »
don't know about all that del the cat (hey that rhymes)  this one is going to be "special" thats for sure :laugh:  im keeping it top secret til its done.  no "how's my tiller"... no "how would you work this"  stuff.   just me, my wits, my books, and this rediculous stave.  >:D