Author Topic: First Bamboo core laminate  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Bearded bowyer

• I'm younger than I look.........honest!
First Bamboo core laminate
« on: December 07, 2013, 09:14:40 am »
Hi all
This is the first time I've used bamboo as a core lamination.
Quite pretty
Hickory/bamboo/lemonwood with yew riser.
62lbs@28"

Offline Bearded bowyer

Re: First Bamboo core laminate
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 09:35:04 am »
Not sure why the photos are sideways........ ???

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 09:36:43 am »
looks pretty cool. 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 09:59:59 am »
Nice combination of woods, should be a good shooter.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 10:15:55 am »
very nice looking bow! I especially like the cut in knock look on the tips. where did you get lemonwood? I have wanted to try it out after reading about it from back in the day. also was wondering why you used bamboo with hickory over it? just for the snappy core effect? never had a chance to use the stuff yet. really cool bow for sure!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Bearded bowyer

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 12:15:43 pm »
I wanted to see if the bamboo core would make it faster. It seems to have done the trick, it seems very fast but I don't have a chrono to check. It behaves impeccably. Shoots very consistently and smoothly.
I almost always use hickory as my belly wood. It is so fibrous its nearly indestructible. Never, ever had a hickory backed bow blow up.
The top of the nock is actually a stylised stringing groove as the chap it is for has quite short arms and struggles to get any bow strung. I just think they look nice.
I'm in the UK so I get my lemonwood from Timberline in Tonbridge, but must be available in the U.S. too. Again I use it a lot. I've never had a lemonwood belly chryshal or give out, and it is lovely to work with.

BUT!

He wants me to bind the handle, hiding half that beautiful yew and......... he wants me to stick a plastic arrow shelf on it............a plastic arrow shelf!   :(  ( I did offer to make a cut through for him, but alas no)

I'm tempted not to give it to him  ;)

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 01:02:14 pm »

BUT!

He wants me to bind the handle, hiding half that beautiful yew and......... he wants me to stick a plastic arrow shelf on it............a plastic arrow shelf!   :(  ( I did offer to make a cut through for him, but alas no)

I'm tempted not to give it to him  ;)
[/quote]

I know!! I'm making a bow for a guy in West Virginia and he wants me to cover up the bows handle and it has crazy knots and stuff that makes it look gorgeous and he ants me to cover it up! :o
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline Bearded bowyer

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 04:02:39 pm »
It never ceases to amaze me how some people cant see the natural beauty in wood. The have some crazy image in their minds eye, and nothing else will do...... :(

Offline VicNova

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 04:24:13 pm »
Very nice! Where did you get the bamboo from?
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline Bearded bowyer

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 05:31:32 pm »
I got it from Del.......not sure where he got it from, he ordered extra so I could have some.....