Author Topic: Feather backing  (Read 3709 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Feather backing
« on: November 19, 2013, 08:59:41 pm »
What's the best way to apply a feather backing?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PatM

Re: Feather backing
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 09:12:38 pm »
The bamboo flyrod sites have good tips on placing feathers under/in a coating. Epoxy works really well as it wets out fibers well and sets slowly.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 11:33:59 am »
There's no build along. I looked for the feather backed mollie but can't find it. It was based off Blackhawks mollies. Any help is much appriciated

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 04:23:13 pm »
Danzn Bar posted one some time ago with turkey feathers.  Seems like he used the clear coat that fishing rod builders use, easy on or something like that...

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 06:09:17 pm »
Ok thanks

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 06:59:51 pm »
Go to the rod builder sites . All kinds of info.

Offline dbb

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 07:07:34 pm »
I think he used flex-cote,a 2component rodfinish.
Pretty much a flexible epoxy
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 09:11:11 pm »
You guys are right............it is a two part epoxy call Flex-Coat. 
Blaflair2,
They make to different formulas a thick one and a thin one.  Use the thin one.  Color the limb to be feathered a dark color to keep the wood color from bleeding through.  I didn't and had trouble with the osage showing through, but after a while in the sun it will darken.  I start at the tip end of the bow, apply a very thin coat for about 3" lay a feather down and brush on another thin coat over that feather.  lay another feather down apply a thin coat, then keep repeating.  do not brush the feather much and break it apart. I use a very soft hair brush.  if it breaks apart it will not go back together and the more you brush the worst it gets.  I can't stress enough to apply a thin coat with the least amount of brushing possible.  Continue moving down the limb 3" at a time layering the feathers like shingles on a house until the whole area you want to feather is covered.  It goes quicker than you would think.  Just make sure the feather stays down against the bow. some will tend to cup up and create an air pocket between the feather and the bow.  You will have time to do this because the epoxy gets tacky after about an hour. I just wet my finger an gently push it down until it sticks.  Remember thin coats.  After the epoxy has dried, I apply another thin coat over the top of the feathers.  The epoxy is self leveling therefore you end up with something that looks like feathers under glass.

Hope this helps.......post your progress, love to see how it comes out.  drop me a line if you have any questions.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 09:37:57 pm »
Thanks. How much is the stuff?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 09:48:30 pm »
Blarflair,
Its been awhile since I bought it,  I use to get it at Bass Pro or Cabelas.  If I remember right 4 oz of resin and 4 oz of hardener was about 20 bucks.   I don't think they carry it any more.  Years ago I built custom fishing rods is how I got the idea.  You might try some rod building sites or goggle  Flex-Coat a see what you get.  I'm about out, so if I do any more I'll have to look.  Let me know what you find.  I also put feathers on wing bone turkey calls.
DBar 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 10:40:45 pm »
I may just wait. I'm broke and I wanna finish this bow lol. My other option is catch a couple banded water snakes and put them on

Offline dwardo

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 07:36:55 am »
You guys are right............it is a two part epoxy call Flex-Coat. 
Blaflair2,
They make to different formulas a thick one and a thin one.  Use the thin one.  Color the limb to be feathered a dark color to keep the wood color from bleeding through.  I didn't and had trouble with the osage showing through, but after a while in the sun it will darken.  I start at the tip end of the bow, apply a very thin coat for about 3" lay a feather down and brush on another thin coat over that feather.  lay another feather down apply a thin coat, then keep repeating.  do not brush the feather much and break it apart. I use a very soft hair brush.  if it breaks apart it will not go back together and the more you brush the worst it gets.  I can't stress enough to apply a thin coat with the least amount of brushing possible.  Continue moving down the limb 3" at a time layering the feathers like shingles on a house until the whole area you want to feather is covered.  It goes quicker than you would think.  Just make sure the feather stays down against the bow. some will tend to cup up and create an air pocket between the feather and the bow.  You will have time to do this because the epoxy gets tacky after about an hour. I just wet my finger an gently push it down until it sticks.  Remember thin coats.  After the epoxy has dried, I apply another thin coat over the top of the feathers.  The epoxy is self leveling therefore you end up with something that looks like feathers under glass.

Hope this helps.......post your progress, love to see how it comes out.  drop me a line if you have any questions.
DBar

I wish I could see this in a video. Seems like something that's easier to show than explain.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 07:49:40 am »
BigA done a couple with feather backing,he glued them on with TB3, Let dry good and sealed it with tru oil and a final coat or 2 of spray poly. Just have to be careful with the first coat of tru oil as you wipe it on,going in the direction of the way the feather lays. His turned out nice. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 10:56:29 am »
Google "feather inlay by Neal Hall". There is a fine how to with pictures for those who don't want to decipher a thousand words.