Author Topic: Time?  (Read 4286 times)

Offline Dazv

Time?
« on: November 25, 2013, 05:01:56 pm »
Hi guy!
I've heard it takes 6-12 seconds to bring down a medium sized deer with a bow. What's your opinion on this statement? Also do you guys notice a difference in the time it takes when you get a single lung,double Lung,lung/heart shot? Another question is what do you guys think the average time is on a larger animal like an elk or a bison?

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thank you very much and I must say having access at my fingertips to people who have first hand experience is amazing.

Thanks again
D

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Time?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 05:36:22 pm »
The deer I killed this year the arrow went through one lung and centered the heart.  I would guess it took around a minute or more before it was completely dead.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dazv

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 05:39:17 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Wow in surprised it took a minute to die after have an arrow through the heart!!!

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 05:47:33 pm »
Heart pumps oxygen to the brain. How long can the brain function without oxygen? Then add to that equation that a deer running on adrenalin, the muscles moving also help circulate blood... so a running deer can go quite a ways before it completely dies.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 08:00:16 am »
I would say 10 or 12 seconds on a double lung hit,of course they can cover a lot of
ground in that length of time.100 yards easily,Single lung ,they can live a good long while, lung /heart , they die very quick also. :) Liver /lung will put them down very quick also and they usuall don't travel as far. Of course these are just general rules,seems every one is a little different depending on the deers demeanor at the time of the shot.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dazv

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 03:25:43 pm »
Great thanks for the info guys much appreciated. Do you guys know how long it takes on say a double lunged elk?

Offline RyanR

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 07:09:35 pm »
I have never really thought about that but most of the deer I have double lunged have travelled 75 to 100 yards.  I would imagine they cover that distance in less than 10 seconds. After they fall they may live just a few short seconds after that. With a single lung hit can they can live a lot longer. We have tracked them over 1/2 mile and I am sure the deer did not run that whole distance so they can live a long time on a single lung hit.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 10:34:41 pm »
Off the top of my head I can remember 6 deer that I saw go down after shot. Covered 40 to 6o yards and down and dead in under 10-15 seconds, double lung and heart /lung hits. On the ones that I didn't see go down within site I couldn't say, gave them time to expire before following up. Double lung or heart/ lung hits take 'em down fast.
Only taken one elk, single lung hit and didn't see her go down. Backed out for a few hours to give the shot time and  came back and found her 120 yards from where shot. If pushed right away she likely would have traveled much further. There was evidence that she laid down for a time then got up and walked 40 yds and collapsed.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 04:30:51 pm »
Awesome thank you very much for all of the info guys!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 08:50:49 am »
 A dobble lung hit deers dead in 10 seasonds. A deer can run a long ways in 10 seconds. But 98% of the time he's dead with in 50 yards. I've saw 11 bucks though the years die with in site of me.

A one lung hit deer well that sucks. He can move a long ways before he die's. Hurt he'll head back to this bedding area. WHERE HE FELLS SAFE. No matter how far.

I've never shot a elk or bison. But I'm sure a dobble lung hit the same out come going to happen. His size will take him a little father.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Dazv

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 09:00:22 am »
Thanks for the info much appreciated!!! Man I wish it was legal to bow hunt where I live!!!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 11:41:42 am »
  You have to live out of the county not to be able to bow hunt.

Where you live.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 12:27:32 pm »
At seven yards this year I smacked a bull elk with a single lung quartering towards me shot. He walked ~1.25miles (as a crow flies)undisturbed. I would have to guess he died after 4-10hrs after a single lung shot. I knew this so I never once attempted to immediately track. I remember the shot so vividly that I still see that bull take the shot and walk off like it wasn't nothing.
Elk are tough critters. I've killed bulls with my wheelie bow with single and a double lung shot. I learned time is on your side (weather permits) when killing animals with archery. Its a sh!tty feeling to leave a mortality wound animal in the field but your chances of recovery depends on it.
Forever making arrows!

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 02:51:39 pm »
For sure leaving an animal in the woods sucks. Buddy shot 2 last night. One dropped right there. The other, jumped just when he pulled the trigger. He blew the shoulder. It bedded down but jumped when my buddy went to check it. So he left it overnight. When he gets off work were going out tracking. 3 legged deer bleeding in snow... should be easy to track right? Hopefully we beat the coyotes to her...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Dazv

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 04:38:46 pm »
Thanks for the you time guys! It's surprising how far an elk can move with a hole in a lung!!!!
Crooketarrow I live in the uk which I hate sometimes because if our silly laws. Robin Hood is from here and were still not allowed to bow hunt!!!!!