Author Topic: Pacific Crab advice please  (Read 1422 times)

Don Case

Pacific Crab advice please
« on: November 26, 2013, 09:12:44 pm »
I cut a P Crab sapling today. It's about 3" at the bottom and 1 1/2" at the top. The center(pith) at the butt is way off center. It's about 3/4" in from the edge. Should that be a concern? I'm planning on roughing it out and shellacking the end grain and then leaving it for 6 months or so. Sound about right?
Thanks
Don

Offline steve b.

Re: Pacific Crab advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 09:49:12 pm »
Don I've tried to discuss the pith question several times and the impression I get is that no one really knows.  I would basically ignore the pith and look instead to the curve of the stave.  I'm thinking oceanspray/vinemaple here.  If there is any curve to it at all, and little twist, then I'd lay it on its side like a big banana with the curve right or left and run it through the bandsaw so that the inside curve ends up on the stave and the outside curve gets tossed.  Unless you want a deflexed handle then I'd save the outside curve.
And, as usual, I  would debark and not seal anything.  I watch closely for checking for about a week and if I see none then I leave it alone.  Otherwise I'd layer it with glue.  That's just me and I have alot of moisture in my basement so I have the luxury of not sealing.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Pacific Crab advice please
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 10:12:49 pm »
Sounds good don:)
Remove bark ASAP or else it's a pain. Seal the back with shellac and the ends with glue and strap it down after roughing or it WILL warp and twist.
Have fun! It's a good bow wood:)
Clatskanie, Oregon