Author Topic: Hazelnut, for ELB?  (Read 2312 times)

Offline campx

Hazelnut, for ELB?
« on: November 21, 2013, 05:12:59 pm »
My buddy just dropped by with a present. 
He cut two hazelnut trees down, pipe straight, no limbs, each piece 8 feet long.  One is 8" diameter, the other 5".  I plan on debarking and splitting them into staves, sealing the ends and drying them in my basement over the winter.  -15Celsius here right now, so no outside drying.
Will hazelnut make a decent weight ELB, like in the 70pound range?  It was grown at the Coast of BC, high humidity.  Where I live is dry, semi-arid desert, super low RH.......thanks!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Hazelnut, for ELB?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 06:43:37 pm »
Hazel will make just about any type of bow, but requires a heat treated belly and may take a bit more set than you wish for.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline steve b.

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 07:05:19 pm »
I have some hazelnut that I'm planning on making into bigger bows like elb's.  Not sure what dimensions for 70 lbs. but I think it would rival yew if treated properly.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 03:46:57 am »
Heat treat, round or trap the back and make absolutely sure there are no pin knots...it will crysal around them without much hesitation! If you do have any pins then wider is the way to go and NOT thicker.
Hazel is an impressive wood, i've made a few screamers from it but will not cut a tree if it has any pins in the bit I want to use.

Offline campx

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 03:51:15 am »
Thanx for the replies.  Plan on  drawknifing he bark off tomorrow, and splitting ( after looking for a 180plus class mule deer anyways!)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 04:57:58 pm »
Thanx for the replies.  Plan on  drawknifing he bark off tomorrow, and splitting ( after looking for a 180plus class mule deer anyways!)
IMO.
Don't use a drawknife to take off the bark, you may nick the wood, just leave the bark on or scrape it off... it's pretty thin bark.
It will probably pop off as the bow starts to really flex. Leaving it on is a good way to ensure you have a pristine back.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 07:04:02 pm »
Like Del says be careful of the back! I have had splinters raise on the back of two staves which had what I would call relatively minor blemishes! Spots that I wouldn't have given a seconds hesitation if it would have been vine maple! Just my experience!               Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

akswift

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 10:33:58 pm »
your opening post seems to indicate a concern with Relative humidity, and rightfully so this time of year. What is the temp in the basement? If the wood is too wet, you might want to slow down the drying at first