Author Topic: erc?  (Read 1831 times)

Offline bushboy

erc?
« on: November 12, 2013, 03:29:22 pm »
Has anyone tried heat treating erc in board form?thx's!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline sweeney3

Re: erc?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 03:45:09 pm »
No.  Not sure why you would?  It's already relatively very strong in compression.  Maybe to bend it?  I've read it does not respond well to heat bending, but I have not tried it.  My ERCs have all been straight stave bendy handles so I haven't yet felt the need to try.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 11:26:08 pm »
Nope, never tried it.  It's touchy enough in tension as is.  As a laminate it might be helpful.  I don't know though.  I've never made a laminate, ERC or otherwise.  Sorry.  Josh

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 12:45:20 am »
As a board, it would be very hard to find a good ERC bow candidate, at least for a selfbow.  It needs to be pretty darn clean (knot-free), and ideally have some sapwood backing over heartwood belly.

I've tried bending ERC with steam, unsuccessfully.  I doubt that dry heat would work, since the heartwood is so brittle.  However, I've seen other posts where people have boiled ERC and managed to bend it a bit.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 11:33:24 am »
Thx's for the replies!yes I want to use a piece of clean stock for the belly. And back it with either white oak,ash or hickory.I thought if heat treaing would minimis set than why not!but because it's soft wood I'm vary!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 11:35:57 am »
ERC won't take hardly any set to speak of anyway.  It'll either make a great bow or explode in a Shakespearianly dramatic fashion.  If you back it with other woods, make the backing rather thin. Tiller slowly and carefully.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 11:49:15 am »
It's touchy enough in tension as is.

Yeah, I would not even think about it.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair