Author Topic: A bow named Wyrm  (Read 4604 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: A bow named Wyrm
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 01:49:01 pm »
Very nice! I'll keep this one in mind when I ever get to the shagbark I hauled back from Kansas. Thanks for the post. Marco

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 02:24:07 pm »
Thanks Marco, I havent worked with other hickories yet but if its all like shagbark, it is SUPER forgiving and great for tempering in a reflexed position. I wish I had been a little braver with the amount of reflex I had it in when I tempered it with a blow torch (by the way thats not a great way to do it :D ). All she needs is a pair of chipmunk skin string groove silencers, squirrel skin rest and striker plate, a few tails in the string, a buckskin handle wrap, and a few arrows made just for her.  :) :) :D
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 12:06:05 am »
Unfortunately, I know exactly what you mean with the trouble over bows.  Believe me, I feel your pain!  Once again, nice job! Josh

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 09:48:10 am »
I was thinking of adding something like red and yellow dyed horse hair to the upper limbs tip to look a little like flames and still have that extra wind gage in place. two problems, no horse hair and no idea how to dye it or any hair I might use. anyone think I just need to leave her alone as I tend to keep adding until I end up with an eye sore? If not how would I go about acquiring and implementing this idea?
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 09:59:48 am »
Well...when you get down to aesthetics, that's purely an individual taste matter.  If it were me, I would save the horse hair for a plains bow.  As far as the windicator goes, a small feather on a short thread is as good as it gets.  If you need some horse hair, I got that.  I just need to get home and cut some off the horse.  Let me know if you want some and I'll send it to ya.  Josh

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 10:04:33 am »
I would greatly appreciate it Gun Doc! As long as your horses dont mind a close shave, I would like to try out some horse hair for projects! thanks for the input too. I found a super light little feather, but I think it is an owls and Im pretty sure its illegal to have their feathers so ill just wait for my cat to bring back another bird!  :D :D :D

Offline Josh B

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 10:47:19 pm »
Yeah you don't want to use owl feathers.  It looks like I might get home this weekend so PM me your addy and I'll send you some horse hair and some feathers.  Josh