Author Topic: Sharp edge discussion  (Read 5019 times)

Stringman

Sharp edge discussion
« on: November 04, 2013, 03:54:59 pm »
Let's talk about sharp rocks. If you are anything like me, you like to use the points you create and if they ain't sharp there is no point (no pun intended.) I have been working on my technique for the last couple years and I would like to share what I've come up with and I'd be interested in seeing what others do as well. I'm no expert, so don't misconstrue the info I'm providing as anything but an apprentices perspective. That bein said, I use what I make and I'm killing deer. So let's take a close look at the fine edge of knappin.

I start off with a preform that is already thinned and most if the major irregularities have been removed. Platform edge fairly even and lightly ground.

At this point, I will use a flaker with a finer tip as the flakes I'm removing frm this point on will be small and very precise. Normally, I start at the tip and with a light touch remove the first flakes at a somewhat steep angle. You are not trying to remove mass here so it is not important for the flakes to travel. As you move down the continuous platform with regular flakes the direction of force will change a little so that your flakes travel across the field of the point.

Once you have removed flakes from the entire edge you should be left with regular micro deltas that need to be nipped off. Keep the same orientation of the rock to the pad and with a light touch take the very tips of these protrusions off. DO NOT GRIND!  In fact, I don't touch the edge with a grinding block from this point on. It goes without saying, that your point should already be at the size and shape you are looking for in the end.

Once removed, flip the point and starting from the tip you are gonna remove flakes from side B. Here's the trick... The reason for removing the micro protrusions from side A was to make the platform strong enough to withstand the pressure from side B. The tip of your flaker should be pressing on the miniature platform that you just created. Here's a sketch depicting the 4 steps...

Now this also creates a slight disadvantage with regards to the center line and so you need to decrease the angle of pressure so you don't have trouble with step fractures. But the alternating flake removal leaves a subtle wavy edge that has not been touch and is therefore very sharp.

After both sides have been sharpened I try to leave the edge alone and only make minimal adjustments with my horshoe flaker. Once the tip has been made into a needle point and the notches are added the rock is ready to work.

So that's my technique. Let's see what everyone else is doing.

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Sharp edge discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 04:06:31 pm »
sweet, thanks for the tips

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 05:19:53 pm »
Excellent tutorial, thanks for taking the time to do it.

Offline papoints

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 09:05:16 pm »
Great info man. Appreciate it.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 12:09:49 pm »
good demo ,gotta get them sharp
Roger
Venice Florida

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 02:54:59 pm »
That's how I do it, also. But, sometimes come back with a real sharp pointed, horse shoe nail and serrate the long "pieces" sticking out farther and even it all up with fine serrations.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline elremolino

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 10:12:22 pm »
I thought this was a good and informative discussion. I appreciate you sharing here as it was more interesting on anything that I have read on PP in some time. Thanks again.

Kinley

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 11:28:27 pm »
I agree, Eddie, the idea being that the plane of the cutting edge should be fairly uniform. The trick is to make those adjustments without making a dull spot. Good point!

Offline Lemos

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 12:48:08 am »
. My knapping is experience is very limited but I've always wondered how that was done. Thanks for sharing. I can attest to your technique working, one of my coworkers used the knife I got from you to cut polyester mule tape to "see if it was sharp". Mule tape will dull the sharpest steel blade in about a dozen cuts and it won't cut if remotely dull, your blade tore right through the line on first pass. Answered his question and he didn't question why I'd want to use it to gut a deer (if I ever get out to get one)anymore.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 02:48:24 am »
I use stone blades all the time for cutting plastic and tape.  I agree, stone works fantastic for this.

After looking at a bunch of artifacts from my area, I try to sharpen my stone blades in the same way: with non-serrated edges and a double hollow ground type of cross section (E) or favoring one side (C).  Most modern knappers (including me) tend to put a thick edge on their points which resembles cross sections (B) or (D) below.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:20:18 am by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Stringman

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 09:07:09 am »
Patrick this is exactly what I've noticed as well. Thanks for your picture, that clears it up a little better. And the "hollow ground" is what I'm going for.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 12:31:37 pm »
Scott, I'm surprised I haven't seen someone put a hollow grind on a slab and just knapped the exteme edge.  Not very primitive but it might look cool.   ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Stringman

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 12:50:44 pm »
 :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 03:10:02 pm »
Hmmm? ::) I have diamond wheels :).
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?