Author Topic: Finishing before final tillering?  (Read 1117 times)

Offline ConorO

Finishing before final tillering?
« on: December 19, 2013, 12:06:45 pm »
Hello all who inhabit the forums!  ;D

I just have a quick question. I'm in the process of final-tillering a white oak self-bow. My question is whether or not one can apply an oil to the bow before it is fully tillered? I am using Tung Oil to finish the bow, pure Tung Oil with no dryers or hardeners. Would a coat or two of  this inhibit wood removal on the belly side of the bow? Also, would it affect the bow's flexibility at all?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Bonus Question(s): Does cutting nocks from the sides into the back of the bow significantly weaken the bow tips from your guys' experience? Should I just cut nocks into the sides, or am I good to cut it the whole way round? What about adding nocks made out of antler?
Also, what ways do you guys reduce set?

Thanks! :)

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Finishing before final tillering?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 12:13:50 pm »
I've had no issue with wood removal with a tung oil finish on. It scrapes off no problem. But I would still wait until I was totally done until I started putting finish on.

Cutting nocks in from the sides won't weaken the tips all that much as long as they are thick enough. But I only go deep enough to let the string loop sit comfortably. When I do nocks, I cut deeper grooves into the sides and then using a round file I kind of taper into the back a bit. 

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 12:39:29 pm »
My question is whether or not one can apply an oil to the bow before it is fully tillered?

Yes, you can apply oil at any time.  That's what I do.  Sometimes it will be a while between roughing out and tillering, so the oil helps to prevent the stave from dying out too fast and checking.  You can also use shellac or any other finish.  The thinner the finish, the easier it will be to remove it when tillering, obviously.

Would a coat or two of  this inhibit wood removal on the belly side of the bow?

No.

Also, would it affect the bow's flexibility at all?

No.

Does cutting nocks from the sides into the back of the bow significantly weaken the bow tips from your guys' experience?

Yes, if the neck (the space between side nocks) is very narrow.

Should I just cut nocks into the sides, or am I good to cut it the whole way round?

Never cut a nock all the way around without an overlay to protect the back.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 12:41:33 pm »
Welcome!
I don't understand why you would want to apply your final finish before you are done but that should work.
Cutting the nocks into the sides is ok. Cutting into the back is not in most cases
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!