Author Topic: Handles  (Read 2534 times)

Don Case

Handles
« on: November 21, 2013, 11:37:34 pm »
Is there a rule of thumb for handle size? Something along the line of " if the working part of the limb is 1.5" wide and .375" thick then the handle should be something by something"
Don

Offline bow101

Re: Handles
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 11:51:52 pm »
I guess it depends on what you are building, a standard board bow or satve I would think a 4" handle.  If you are building an R/D go with a 16" fade to fade.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 11:56:31 pm »
Don, I use bulbous handles. They are 4" long, 1 1/4" wide at the center and about 1" at the narrowest part, which is the arrow pass on the top. With a thick leather overlay to fill out the back of the handle the thickest part of the handle is about 1 1/4"  and about 1" thick at the narrow part.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 09:29:38 am »
I've made shorter handles to get the most bend out of a bow with a still semi stiff handle. If the bow is not too heavy, it just kind of nestles into your thumb and forefinger and you don't need too much to bear down on. Experiment !try to see how much of the handle you really use while shooting your current bow and go from there.

Don Case

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 11:09:50 am »
I guess I didn't make myself very clear. It's not the length of the handles I'm after, it's the cross section measurements. Like a lighter weight bow wouldn't need as large a handle as a heavier one. Because of the 8 to 1 thing (depth to width) it would seem to me that a deeper (belly to back) handle could be narrower within reason. I just thought there might be a relationship between limb size and handle size. I'm starting to ramble, I'll shut up now.
Don

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 11:23:09 am »
Handles can be kept simple Don. If you want them to work? Shallow them up accordingly. If you don't want them to work? Just shape them to your liking. I would suggest you stay 1" wide plus at the narrowest point of any style handle. The bows limb width has nothing to do with the handle size in most cases.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 07:18:44 pm »
nless it's got a cork build up I just make them comfy, it's really whatever floats your boat, it don't have to be much thicker to not bend
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 11:39:20 pm »
When I am shaping  handle I shape a little, grasp the handle with my eyes closed and see how it feels and continue shaping until the handle fits just right.

As long as your handle is an inch wide and about 1 1/2 " tall you have plenty of wood. I make mine like Pat, bulbous with a 1" wide arrow pass.

The biggest pitfall I see in handles is to cut a very deep arrow shelf and not leave enough wood adjacent to the sight window. My second bow broke at this point for just this reason.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 04:55:59 am »
There is no set measurements for lighter or heavier bows you just really make it what ever size you want I never measure handle thickness I just thin it till it looks good And right. I also cut arrow shelfs in
I like osage