Author Topic: Where to find seasoned yew in the UK?  (Read 6199 times)

Offline TheDukesArchers

Where to find seasoned yew in the UK?
« on: November 05, 2013, 03:48:32 pm »
I'm going to harvest some yew this spring so I have a supply in a few years, but I need a good yew stave now as I plan of making a self longbow. Would a typical timber merchant offer this kind of thing?

Offline danny f

Re: Where to find seasoned yew in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:04:20 pm »
i havent seen any yew in a timber merchants over here in the uk. i think you will have to cut your own. and if you want a seasoned stave keep looking on ebay. but not to many come up on ebay. apart from pacific yew from america. good luck with the search.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 04:09:24 pm »
Thanks for the reply Danny! What about wych elm or ash? I want to make a full compass longbow, though nothing too heavy. Around 70lbs at 32.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 04:20:51 pm »
Yew on ebay is extremely expensive I would cut it myself if I were you you just have to find some to cut
I like osage

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 04:29:34 pm »
It's a game of patience over here in the UK.  I started out desperate to just see a yew stave, and now a year or so later I've got enough for plenty of bows.  That's not to sound cocky, it's just the way it goes.  Make contacts with tree surgeons, landscape gardeners, churches, parks and planning people, leave them a nice business card with your name and number and what you do, and you'll soon find people dropping off logs and staves throughout the year as they cut it.

One thing I would say is avoid ash for full compass warbows.  You'll only get disappointed by it!  You can't make ash into a classic warbow shape, as it has to be heavily trapped and feature a very flat belly to withstand high poundage which won't feel right if you're used to holding warbows.  Elm is great, Del just finished a stunning elm warbow. 

Make sure you don't try and pay for a lovely piece of yew for your first bow.  It will go wrong, come in greatly underweight and really frustrate you!

All that being said, keep eyes peeled on eBay.  I used to get a lot of fairly good quality yew from sellers who were auctioning wood turning blanks and pens made from yew.  Inevitability they had large chunks and logs they hadn't got round to chopping up, and didn't realise the real value, so I was able to pick up lots for about 30 quid for a couple of logs. 

Keep looking, keep networked and it'll flow in soon!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 06:21:36 pm »
It only takes a year to season Yew if it's reduced to a stave and then roughed out after about 9months.
I leave the bark on but seal the ends. Store it somewhere nice and draugthy that doesn't freeze or get too hot.
While it's seasoning, cut some Hazel, there's plenty of it about, it will season quickly and make a great wide flat style bow. I've heard of Hazel warbows too, presumably with heat treated belly.
You can get from stave to bow in 30 days with Hazel. :)
The recent storm has probably brought down wood too. Maple, Sycamore, Ash etc.
With all the Ash dieback sisease, there should be plenty of it about.
We are coning up for winter when local conservation groups etc will be doing copicing. Chack your local coincil parks/environmental services department, BTCV etc.
Del
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:26:59 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 07:03:06 pm »
Finding a good yew stave, especially one that would qualify for a warbow, is about as easy as finding Rocking Horse shite.

Offline WillS

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 07:10:31 pm »
To answer your PM thedukesarchers, yes, a laminate warbow should get you going fairly quickly.  If possible, find a pre-glued stave, with some quality woods.  Get a good set of dimensions (or better yet, buy Making The Laminated English Warbow DVD by Steve Stratton as it has dimensions and hours of tutorial on building from wood choice to gluing to tillering and finishing) and set to work while your yew is seasoning.  As Del said, reduce down roughly over a period of time and you'll find that it's good to go fairly quickly.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 04:03:26 am »
Finding a good yew stave, especially one that would qualify for a warbow, is about as easy as finding Rocking Horse shite.
C'mon... It only takes about 30 years of lookin' ;)
Del

Offline WillS

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 06:38:45 am »
Just save up and get an Italian stave.  They cost the better part of half a grand for a reason!!

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 11:24:45 am »
Just save up and get an Italian stave.  They cost the better part of half a grand for a reason!!
Is that the gullibility of the purchasers?
Del

Offline WillS

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 03:14:16 pm »
That's half of it.

It's also like working with iron.  It's so different to English/American yew under the tools that it's like a different wood completely.