Author Topic: Where do you get your wood?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline RJUSMC

Where do you get your wood?
« on: November 01, 2013, 05:11:17 pm »
I've been misplaced here in coastal North Carolina (about 3000 miles southeast of my home) and I'm having trouble finding a source of wood.  I'm not looking for anything in particular maybe BL, hickory, or any other local wood.  I'm also getting into flint knapping.  Finding materials (as well as hunting land >:( ), has been a unique challenge here, and I'm not really how most people do it.

Stringman

Re: Where do you get your wood?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 05:35:08 pm »
I think a welcome is in order! First off, I'd like to say thank you for your service. Many of us on here have walked in your boots and we appreciate you giving of yourself. Secondly, moving to a differ et area is bad enough. Having the military move you is a duck of a different feather.

When searching for materials, nothing will come easily. Just need to get out there and start lookin. I'm sure some guys on here will chime in with more local knowledge, but in the meantime, don't ignore picking up a few more modern materials. Board bows and glass points can be made for very little money.

Good luck on the search. This can be an addicting hobby you're stepping into.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 06:45:58 pm »
Great respect for you guys.  Welcome and hope you find you some Osage.  If not, I hear that some people use other woods as well, occasionally successfully if the rumors true. :)
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline drycreekarcher

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 08:03:24 pm »
I'm in the north central part of NC. I was just down your way in Sept. You should be able to find hickory & hophornbeam in your area according to info. that I found.  http://ncpedia.org/vegetation
You should be able to find some nice black bear also. Thanks for your service!

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 11:40:21 pm »
Can't help you out much on your quest for wood, for the farthest I've ever been from my home in Oregon is 29 palms :o to visit my son ;). But welcome to P.A. great group great mag. Thank you much for your service sir god bless.
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 12:18:34 am »
I was at New River and Cherry Pt for six years.

The only bow wood I found was eastern red cedar. The hardwoods start about Raleigh which isn't to far, but with gas prices it is often cheaper to buy wood.

The wood shop on Lejeune had a decent selection of hardwoods, cheap.

Patrick