Author Topic: Tri-lam tiller check (Boo Backing Problems...)  (Read 4921 times)

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
Tri-lam tiller check (Boo Backing Problems...)
« on: October 28, 2013, 08:12:38 pm »
Hey folks,

Just lookin' for some pointers on how to proceed with this bow.  In the video it is at a low brace height of about 4".

Boo/Ipe/Hickory 76" long.  Hoping to end up anywhere over #90@32"

Thanks for checking it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1YIdwku5_s
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 05:22:16 pm by Dag »

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Tri-lam tiller check
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 08:48:26 pm »
I can't see a thing wrong with that, looks like it's coming around perfectly.  I've got a similar bow ready to be tillered, just have a few other projects to finish up first.  Looking forward to seeing this one completed!

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 09:22:36 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Cameroo!  Much appreciated.  Good luck on yours!  I have many distracting projects as well, haha.

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 05:21:38 pm »
Well shoot.  A bit of the bamboo backing has cracked and lifted just below the center of the bow.

How should I handle this guys?  I really would hate to scrap this piece of work because of this.  Is it as simple as supergluing back down and applying pressure?

Offline WillS

Re: Tri-lam tiller check (Boo Backing Problems...)
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 05:23:48 pm »
Glue! It's in the middle, and it's longitudinal.  You don't need to worry, just flood it in superglue and press it down, and carry on as if it never happened!

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 05:26:16 pm »
Sweet! That's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks WillS!

Offline WillS

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 05:32:12 pm »
Hang on.  I've just looked again.  It's actually popped a splinter hasn't it, right near the centre line.  If it was just a single longitudinal crack you'd be alright, but I'd wait for somebody more experienced using boo as backing to offer advice! Sorry!

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 05:35:32 pm »
Alright, I'll hang off on the glue.  That splinter runs about three inches long :(

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 11:44:29 pm »
My experience would be that the backing is a lost cause, for a warbow weight bow anyway. It will most likely pop back up no matter how you patch or glue it. That has been my experience at least. I would cut the backing off, just above the ipe core, and sand back down to the ipe core and glue another backing on it. That always sucks. I recommend very sparingly removing the rind next time, and don't go below a 1/32" of an inch for the backing.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 12:40:49 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 11:47:26 am »
i thought i would help even though ive never made a warbow. i had stuff pop splinters and what i do is fill it with superglue then i wrap sinew around it and it is soaked in glue. idk if it will work for that weight tho.
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 05:13:34 pm »
You can only try it and see.
I was going to suggest the out 1/3 of the limbs could bend a tad more. That would also help take some weight off that grip section.
Bear in mind laminates are not my thang... so I reserve the right to be wrong!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 05:39:12 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys.  I think I'll go with Toomanyknots on this one.  This bow has been sitting as a stave for over 2 years now  :o  maybe the boo just dried out a bit too much, idk.

I think a hickory backing would suit this bow well.  A few questions about that, should the hickory be brought to a single growth ring?  That seems like it would be ideal.  Is it possible to use a hick backing that is not down to a single ring?  If so what should the orientation of the grain be in relation to the bow?

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 09:30:56 pm »
And that's why I don't use bamboo anymore...

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 10:59:40 am »
Thanks for all the replies guys.  I think I'll go with Toomanyknots on this one.  This bow has been sitting as a stave for over 2 years now  :o  maybe the boo just dried out a bit too much, idk.

I think a hickory backing would suit this bow well.  A few questions about that, should the hickory be brought to a single growth ring?  That seems like it would be ideal.  Is it possible to use a hick backing that is not down to a single ring?  If so what should the orientation of the grain be in relation to the bow?

Here's a 60# hickory backed yew. This is how I orient the grain.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 01:13:34 pm »
:o  maybe the boo just dried out a bit too much, idk.

Maybe. In my opinion, (of course it is too late now though), but in the video you can tell it is working a bit too much in the middle, not enough everywhere else:

I would try to leave the middle stiffer (for about 6" - 8" in the center), and work everything else, than later on in tillering you can lightly scrap the middle to bring it around, that is one way. When I have removed the backing and re-glued another one, I cut it off on the bandsaw right above the core, and then use the belt sander to sand the rest down to the core I want, that way you make sure you don't cut too deep and ruin it.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair