Author Topic: Bow in Pawn Shop.  (Read 2044 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Bow in Pawn Shop.
« on: October 23, 2013, 06:02:39 pm »
So a while back I went into a pawn shop and saw a bow strung and hanging on the wall. I commented that he should unstring it because it would greatly increase surviability and long term performance. Today I came back into the shop and saw that he had taken my advice and unstrung it. On top of that It looks like the bow was well taken care of, there was little to no set with it and it looks like little to no damage had happened to the limbs. There were scratches all over the bow on the finish but it was not a problem. It was a 55# bow and 68" long. I think it was around 1.5 inches wide or something. He was selling it for 120$ not sure if hes getting the price right but maybe it is right for the wear on the bow and how old it is ect.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Bow in Pawn Shop.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 06:10:06 pm »
Jon, what kind of bow was it? I've had FG bows that I'd leave strung year round when I was shooting them everyday. At one time had over 50 bows and between  2-5 were left strung all the time. No harm ever done as far as I could tell. Even today I only have 3 remaining but always leave 1 strung hanging on a peg or the rack.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 06:12:44 pm »
The belly might have been FG but the back was wood, I could tell.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 07:30:38 pm »
Sorry about calling you Jon ;D For some reason I thought infrit posted this.

I don't have any experience, none whatsoeverl with bows having glass belly and no backing. My hunch would be that being fiberglass returns to its normal state that the bow wouldn't take any set but I don't know that for certain. Maybe someone else will chime in.

I unstring all of my selfbows including bamboo back and belly bows. You probably gave the pawn shop owner good advice none the less.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 10:52:14 am »
Like Fred said, it doesn't hurt to leave glass bows strung. I've got one that is so hard to string I leave it strung all of hunting season. Most limbs are twisted from stringing and unstringing by someone useing improper technique. That's when I get to buy them cheap. >:D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 03:22:37 am »
I want to know what type of wood can handle the tension load a fiberglass belly can put on it? Thats incredible!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 08:10:12 pm »
its totally possible that i didnt see the glass backing but i dont know at this point.