Author Topic: First Board bow  (Read 3030 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: First Board bow
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 01:40:27 pm »
Congratulations on the bow holding together!  I'll highly recommend seeing if you can hook up with someone around you that have tillered a few bows.  Nothing like real life experience to make your learning curve exponential.  I started similarly.  Made backed ipe bows.  Got some successes.  But, it wasn't 'til I found a mentor and got a stave that things really took off.

Good for you, enjoy the journey!

P.s.  I see you are in Nevada, you have Juniper around?  What kinds of trees you got growing out there?
1’—>1’

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 03:26:50 pm »
Pretty much all I have growing out here that I could think of as bow wood would be juniper, but finding juniper that's even close to straight enough to make a bow out of is rather difficult due to the high winds we have in the area. I've tried finding other bowyers around my area and have had absolutely no luck other than meeting a guy who makes fiberglass bows a year ago and learning how to make them from him.
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 04:07:46 pm »
Im in Reno.

Who is teaching you to make Laminated bows?

I got a couple of people started on Wood bows through the years around here,but they seem to have dropped out of archery.
I usually hang out at House of arrows on Saturdays,even though it has been more rare these days.Life has kept me busier these days.When the weather gets worse,ill be there more.

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 04:18:56 pm »
try and hook up with traxx, it will speed up the learning curve to get together with someone, and for that matter i'm a lot closer than vegas
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 07:26:43 pm »
Awesome! Glad to know I'm not the only one breaking sticks in reno! Ill shoot a pm over to yah traxx.  Also bubble if that's an invite I'd love to come poach some trees from your neck of the woods! Haha joking of course I wouldn't dream of taking bow wood I'm not good enough to work yet
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 07:34:10 pm »
heck there's tons of trees in reno, in the park >:D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2013, 08:10:28 pm »
just want to say thanks to Eric, been wanting to make me a gizmo and can't remember where to find the info, isn't this a great site everyone here helping out thanks to all.
john 3:16