Author Topic: Is this flint?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
Is this flint?
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:39:36 am »
At work I found an area where a hill side has big rock chuncks to stop errosion. I hear that this is limeston and could have flint in it. When I looked there was a few black chuncks inside larger rocks that broke into sharp shards with a predictable(ish) fracture. then I spotted a rock, bigger than my head (so its pretty large)  that seems to be all "flint". Is this flint? and whats the best way to tell? Is there a good tool and or technique to get large pieces off to take home?

Its raining today but If I can get good pictures I will put them up later.

Thanks guys, John
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Josh B

Re: Is this flint?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:45:35 am »
If it fractures as you say, it's a pretty good indication that it is a flint/chert.  As far as a tool to spawl it off with,  pick up another rock.  Grapefruit size will probably knock you off some nice pieces if you get the strike angle figured out. Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 09:49:15 am »
If it flakes it'll make a head...aren't you up in NY near or on  the onandaga escarpment ? If so ya prob found yourself some "stink rock"...

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 09:55:05 am »
I am in central NY, never heard of stink rock? does it stink literally or just to make heads from it?   
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 10:01:22 am »
Sometimes it can literally have a faint odor to it.....I'm betting its what ya found...the quality of the stuff can vary greatly from site to site,and finding the better stuff can be a bit of a tougher proposition

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 06:24:48 pm »
WIERD! i smashed part of the rock today and instantly, I smelled an almost sewer smell! so odd, seems real hard to do anything with it though.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 06:51:12 pm »
Stink rock smells kinda like petrolem and also poor grades of it stink to knap :o :o

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 06:56:58 pm »
 :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  ;D ....well I think we now know what ya got....its better than nothing tho,and better than what I have available locally to me....which is NUTTIN!!!!!

Offline Wahinkpe Wakan

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 01:41:37 am »
When talking about stink rock and you say a sewer or petroleum smell, is that similar to a gun powder smell?  I ask as much of what I am finding and hoping is knapping material, smells like gun powder after taking a wack at it.  It does produce sparks on my metal detector found file.  Problem to me is sometimes it has a fine gain texture when dry, and smooth to slippery when wet. Seems to be the same whether it is green, brown, black yet grey inside, or even the red rocks.   This stuff is very hard to break with another large rock and has shot out at my shin like a bullet, knocking me down and leaving not a chip on the stone.  I am in central MN and I know granite very well, but I do not know chert about flint.  Any Ideas??
Now that I am old enough to know better, I'm too fat and set in my ways to get better