Author Topic: Around the Campfire... Literally!  (Read 3288 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Around the Campfire... Literally!
« on: October 19, 2013, 01:59:30 am »
Was sitting around the campfire tonight in my shelter.  A little lightening bug came past and lit up a few times as if to say, "Hello, I'd like to stay but the smoke disagrees with me."  I just kind of sat there with the mindset that I didn't have a nice comfortable bed that I'm going to sleep in tonight.  Next project is waterproofing (thatched?) the shelter, then making a primitive bed.... then living there all the time. lol not really.

Where do you guys escape to???
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline wildman

Re: Around the Campfire... Literally!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 02:07:58 am »
Nice! I thatched one out with pompas grass inverted and it sheds water well. Made nice bed of straw. I will get some pics up. Keep us posted as you finish it.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 05:45:12 am »
Cabbage palm works great for thatching and check your bed for mocassins and pygmy rattlers before you crawl in.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 08:20:50 am »
A good old camp fire.Mans' first TV.Can appreciate the solitude it gives a person.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 09:24:51 am »
Cabbage palm works great for thatching and check your bed for mocassins and pygmy rattlers before you crawl in.

That's what I was planning on using since it's so abundant.  The only venomous snakes I've ever seen around here is coral snakes.  I think the smokey interior might keep them out though.  We'll see!  I'll get to thatching when the weather cools down some.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 10:56:07 am »
I'd rather get bit by the other two then a Coral snake. By yourself you are pretty much toast. Try something for me. Take the stems on the cabbage palms and pound them and see how strong the fibres are. I think you could make a bow string from them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 10:59:11 am »
That looks awesome.  I have been looking at tipis from the Colorado yurt company.  They are a little pricey but I think they might be worth it.  If I hade more woods around where I am I would probably do something like that

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 11:43:00 am »
I'd rather get bit by the other two then a Coral snake. By yourself you are pretty much toast. Try something for me. Take the stems on the cabbage palms and pound them and see how strong the fibres are. I think you could make a bow string from them.
  I think they become too rigid when they dry.  I know they're really strong but they don't have much bend to them.  Even green they snap.

Offline wildman

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 12:34:06 am »
My lil home away from home
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 02:44:40 am »

That's what I was planning on using since it's so abundant.  The only venomous snakes I've ever seen around here is coral snakes.  I think the smokey interior might keep them out though.  We'll see!  I'll get to thatching when the weather cools down some.

Most poisonous snake in North America and no  antivenom  ..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 08:21:57 am »
Love the solitude of a good camp fire,don't get to do it much alone but when I do it is very calming for me.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 08:24:38 am »

Most poisonous snake in North America and no  antivenom  ..

Cipriano

I don't worry much about them as they tend to be pretty calm and their neurotoxic venom isn't as painful as the other snakes.  To treat you they just put you on life support, let the venom work and when it's done they take you off and you go home.  There's a good reason they don't carry an antivenin.  nobody ever gets bit by them and it's not necessary in the treatment of a bite.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 03:21:19 pm »

People do get bit by them, especially children, who pick them up.  Depends how far you are from that life support, to feel comfortable.  They are not an aggressive snake, but they will bite.  But now thanks to all the snake collectors, that didn't take precautions, and those that simply had them illegally, and let them go, we have cobras, and other exotic species, and then those that are not venomous, but will squeeze the life out of you and swallow you.  Makes it kinda not as fun camping on the ground like it was when I was kid down here.  you need to tie a rat at the entrance to your tent with a bell on it. ;) ;D

Wayne