Author Topic: Black and Tan  (Read 6812 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Black and Tan
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 07:44:51 pm »
Very cool  8) Are those overlays just a veneer?  I really like how you incorporated the arrow pass inlay into the carving in the fades.  Very creative!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 08:42:19 pm »
With a title like black and tan I expected to see a coon dog, wow was I surprised. Nice bow!! The detail in craftsmanship is amazing.

OR a frosty  ;D ;) ::)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 06:54:35 am »
Beautiful bow,love the detail work and tiller look great. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 11:48:12 am »
How?! How did you do that?  That is amazing. 

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 12:03:19 pm »
It's obvious you have a love of art.  Very beautiful. How does your bow shoot?  Is the detail glued on or carved?  How did it effect tillering if any? How much extra weight is there on the tips and did you notice anything significant? 
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 12:14:52 pm »
LostArrow - If you would ever be inclined to do such, I'd be very interested in watching/reading a build-a-long for the way you carve the details into the handle fades on the belly of your bows.

OneBow

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 02:25:20 pm »
Sharp looking bow. 8)

Offline MoNative

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 05:03:29 pm »
+3 speechless :O
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 12:35:11 am »
Thanks for all of the compliments guys. I only posted it so I could enter it for BOM. I thought it would be cool if Jeremy (recipient of the bow shown in full draw pic) could have that little tidbit to go with the bow. As you may have heard we didn't get many for BOM this time around, and I for one like to see that in the mag every issue. I realised I only posted a few pics in the Trade Bow thread.   This bow  started out life as an experiment, to see if a thin veneer would hold up on a bow that didn't require a backing.(just to dress it up.)  Of course it won't (almost, but not quite)if it doesn't have perfect grain. But It was worth a try. Then I wanted to see what I could get away with for relief carving on the fade, so I went at it with the gouges. The bow shot very nice and I had easily put 300 arrows through it, but it was still  in the rough stages and I had other commitments ( the Ithaca bow , Oak board bow, etc,etc.) so it sat in the corner for over a year. When I got Jeremy's name for the trade ,I had already met him once, but he has such a varied interest in styles ,I was racking my brain to come up with something. I didn't have a finished bow for myself to go out shooting with a friend one day , so I grabbed this. (really rough at this stage) My shooting buddy tried it and loved the way it shot. That sealed the deal. I carefully removed all of the veneer except what you see left on the non working limbs and painted the ash black  on the back for maximum contrast. The rest just flowed like it was meant to be. I sometimes have a hard time planning all of the elements of a bow's details and then it all hits at once and I can't put it down.

Onebow : I'll try to take more pics as I go along . I think I have some more of this and "Ithaca". I'll check when I get home next week.

DanK: I think the bow shoots great .Jeremy said the same (but he may have been  trying to be gracious ;)) With the narrow handle and the small shelf it brings the arrow close to center. If a bow doesn't shoot well, it get's no lipstick! What would be the point, right? If by the detail , you mean the carvings, they were carved into the fades after the bow was tillered and shot in. The details on the back were the remnants of the veneer "experiment". The only extra weight on the tips would be the small ebony overlays (protects the veneer and Ash from the bite of the FF string.) It's a modified Molly design so the tips are already fairly light.

KrisDelger: It's not mine to give away, but you could ask Jeremy. He seems like a pretty generous guy........... couldn't hurt to ask. ;D

Cameroo: Yep, Birdseye Maple. It looked real nice on the whole back , but the grain was too wild. There were only two little places where it didn't hold (The grain was almost 90 deg. to the back). Even there ,it wasn't a spectacular failure , surprisingly. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't like to hear a cracking noise while drawing the bow even if you know it's just the veneer    :o ;D