Author Topic: Scraper Preference  (Read 4989 times)

Offline Gsulfridge

Re: Scraper Preference
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 08:32:23 am »
I just acquired ( >:D ) a roll of Japenese spring steel at work.  I cut a sample from it with a cut off wheel on an angle grinder.  I used it to chase a ring on an Osage stave night before last and it worked great!  It would pull a small, thin feather or really cut a curl depending on the pressure.  It will flex slightly when pressure is applied.  I really like it.  The roll of steel is like 10' long!  I have tried store bought scrapers with varying results.  The scraper I got from Pappy at the Classic is a good stiff scraper.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 08:40:22 am »
I mostly use the Sandvic type canbinet scrapers, straight and gooseneck. I have others, stainless, sawblades, etc but use cabinet scrapers 99% of the time. I sharpen them the way Dean advocates in HOB... square up on a stone, consolidate the edge and roll a burr with the burnisher. They last through several bows before needing sharpened.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 09:10:57 am »
Been using a really old Zenith draw knife up on its edge, its a little dull but it's been working out pretty well, pulls plenty of wood and leaves a very smooth finish. I've been following it with 60grit high abrasive paper just to make sure it doesn't leave any checks as well
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 09:26:45 am »
Stainless steel butcher knife, spine squared with a file and burnished with tool steel.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline okie64

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 06:02:45 pm »
I cut up old mitre and skil saw blades with an angle grinder. They work great and you can make em any shape you want.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 06:49:49 pm »
Thanks for the info. It sounds like there are many different options. I never knew about the burr that needs put on it.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 01:23:41 am »
For the money , you can't beat cabinet scrapers. Less than 10$ for the tool you will use the (Possibly) most? The hook is a very important part of the sharpening  process. Too steep and you have to hold the scraper at too steep an angle. It also needs to be sharpened more frequently.  Too shallow and it wont cut without undue pressure. Get it right and the tool practically does the work for you. Most people that give up on scrapers have never used one that has been properly sharpened. The cabinet scrapers are hardened for maximum durability . You can usually "re roll" the bur a few times between touching up the edge. I have a block with slots cut in it that hold a few scrapers on the bench beside me. When one gets dull,I grab a fresh one. I don't like to interrupt my flow of work when I get going.