Author Topic: What should I do with this stave? ??? Pat this would be a good one for you  (Read 5533 times)

Offline FlintWalker

What should I do with this stave?  ??? Pat this would be a good one for you.  ;D 
  This is a sliver I was gonna cut up and burn but I remember seeing a bow or two Pat made that wasn't much bigger so I decided to save it and clean it up. It's 57" long a little over an inch wide in the middle. It's 1-1/8 thick in the middle and the limb is about 1/2" thick at the thinnest part (about 11" from the tip). Do you think I can get a hunting weight bow from it? Bendy handle, semi bendy??? I never made one like that.  Thanks In advance, Saw Filer

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline FlintWalker

Re: What should I do with this stave? ??? Pat this would be a good one for you
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 12:13:19 am »
Well I don't know what happened , but that second picture was supposed to be a side view.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 12:16:30 am »
Looks like a bow to me already ;). I've got several laying around like that, maybe Pat will chime in and tell you how..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 12:19:20 am »
Would love to give it a try. Go for it. you already said you were about to throw it away.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 01:01:24 am »
id say go for it ;D the worst that can happen is it turns into firewood at the expence of playing with some tools and long nights of pondering... :D
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 05:54:15 am »
Perhaps sinew backed bend thru the handle bow.
If ya need sinew I have a bunch to trade. ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 08:31:49 am »
I never shot a bend through the handle bow. Do they have lots more handshock than a rigid handled bow?  I have plenty of sinew and have been wanting to give it a try. Is the typical sinewed bow wider than this, or is this about normal?  I know, I know, i'm wearing ya'll out with questions, but this is new territory for me.  ;D

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 09:03:08 am »
Can't answer your question I haven't done a bendy handle bow or a sinewed back one either.
It was a suggestion, not sure what poundage you can get out of a sliver like that but I'm willing to bet some sinew would increase the weight.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 09:34:05 am »
Let the handle bend. Tiller it so that the handle bends just a bit. Mark off a 4 inch handle section in the exact enter and then just leave that area alone while tillering. Leave the handle 1 1/8 inch thick of you can. You may find that it ends up around an inch after sanding. That's ok. Handles that bend are not necessarily shocky as log as htey do not bend too much. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 09:42:31 am »
   Like Jawge said.The dimensions are not much different from the bow I posted this month,Twisted Sister.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 09:58:36 am »
never shot a bend through the handle bow. Do they have lots more handshock than a rigid handled bow?
Not if they're tillered right. Tiller it so that it just barely bends in the handle at full draw. That's plenty of 'sage to make a bow. It would make a great Eastern Woodlands flatbow, which are deceptively simple-looking, but shoot great. Barely bending through the handle, maybe kick the tips up a bit, and it'll be a good shooter.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 10:49:43 am »
you can do it ! no problem...... 8) There should be plenty of wood there for a bendy handled bow.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 01:33:57 pm »
One of my favorite bows I've made is 48'' long its width is the width of my thumb, it has a small 4'' handle that has a slight bind at its full 25'' draw and it has a butt ugly sinew job, its about 60lbs at 25'' and it looks like a tooth pick and i love it.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 02:50:46 pm »
What should I do with this stave?    Give it to me.  ;D
I guess I missed the width of the stick.  It looks to be at least 1" wide.  I think you have plenty of wood for a hunting weight bow.  Do like George said, or maybe recurve the tips up a little. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 02:58:21 pm »
Justin, if I draw your name for the christmas trade, I have an idea as to what you might get from me. ;D