Author Topic: The Half Pound Bow  (Read 1782 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

The Half Pound Bow
« on: October 08, 2013, 06:41:35 pm »
I built this bow out of some really light wood and it actually weighs less than a pound.  I could of swore it was red mulberry and it might be but that wood is super light.  It was a branch that came off the main trunk and went straight up so it might be so light cause it was growing real fast.  Anyway, it is 63" and the draw is real light.  I'm thinking about cutting it down a little and letting it bend in the handle.  I think bows naturally want to bend in the handle anyway  >:D

Should I convert it to a bendy bow and shorten it or leave as is and give it to one of my younger cousins?  Or go down to the sporting goods store, measure the weight, and see how light it actually is before I assume it's useless.  Lol, the only bows I've drawn in the last several years are the ones I've made so it's just a guess at this point.

Should I convert it to a bendy bow and shorten it or leave as is and give it to one of my younger cousins?  Or go down to the sporting goods store, measure the weight, and see how light it actually is before I assume it's useless.  Lol, the only bows I've drawn in the last several years are the ones I've made so it's just a guess at this point.

Regardless, I'll likely give it away. 

Tiller is a tad off still but it was getting real light so I could hardly stand to take more wood off. 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline BowSlayer

Re: The Half Pound Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 06:50:06 pm »
yeah i know what you mean. i made a bow once and it was just a bit heavier than balsa wood but it might just have well been that. that bow broke. i would have the wight measured. if it's 20#+ then leave it as is. ;)
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 07:01:55 pm »
Yea probably mulberry. Mulberry is very light wood
I like osage

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 09:49:07 pm »
I'm gonna guess that you cut a piece off a male mulberry.  Its way lighter than the female trees.  It'll still make a good bow, but it takes a lot of it.  Josh

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 09:53:36 pm »
Sounds interesting.  What was the poundage on the bow now?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 07:21:23 am »
I would probably give it to a kid and move on,but that's just me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 10:24:06 am »
I would probably give it to a kid and move on,but that's just me. :)
   Pappy

I wouldn't mind giving bows away so much but the strings and arrows are a pain in the butt to make... which reminds me, I need to gather some raw materials for those things.

What was the poundage on the bow now?
Or go down to the sporting goods store, measure the weight, and see how light it actually is before I assume it's useless.

I'm gonna guess that you cut a piece off a male mulberry.  Its way lighter than the female trees.  It'll still make a good bow, but it takes a lot of it.  Josh
That's good to know.  I still have one or two staves of it.  This one had a pith in the middle too, which I didn't expect.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!