Author Topic: Sassy sassafras stash  (Read 2284 times)

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
Sassy sassafras stash
« on: October 14, 2013, 10:19:06 am »
I cut down a sassafras tree, split it and sealed the back and ends after debarking. the staves are about 72-80 inches long, 3-4 inches wide and a few inches deep. the wood was so ridiculously light I carried it home, two logs at a time with no trouble. it was alive when I cut it, but seems to be dry wood right off the bat, as it is air drying it does not seem to be losing any weight/moisture. is this a regular quality of sass. and does this wood need to be thicker for strength? any info on sassafras would be great. I was thinking of a pyramid for the first bow to get a feel for the properties, but ultimately want to make a holmie from this SUPER light wood.

P.S chasing a single growth ring on this stuff makes you appreciate osage oranges rings like nothing I have ever done. its like peeling layers of copier paper apart with a machete on the end of a stick. all light colored wood and tight rings. smells great though
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Sassy sassafras stash
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 11:41:08 am »
It does smell good.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 12:32:59 pm »
I made a Sassafras bow recently. The stave I used had nice rings so I chased all the sapwood off and used a good ring for the back. Pyramid style 68" long. It REALLY smells good when heating it with the heat gun.

Offline KellyG

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 01:20:59 pm »
Don't know about a bow, but you could have dug up the roots and made a great tasting tea.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 01:47:13 pm »
I've always wanted to make an elb from sass, but so far I haven't had good quality wood. I've heard it likes that design but that's about it.
Springfield, MO

Offline ajooter

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 03:40:15 pm »
if you can't make a bow use it to smoke some burgers or chicken ;-)

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 05:46:16 pm »
I've read that the root of a sassafras tree was used to make the original root beer but apparently it's cancerous so they artificially make the flavor of root beer go look it up there's some interesting things about sassafras
I like osage

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 09:14:35 pm »
I knew the root was used, thought it was to make sasparilla (no idea i thats spelled right) in the old western saloons. I know bows can be made from it just not sure what design would be the best for the wood.

DavidV: ELB sounds like fun, any dimensions.

JonW: Could you give me some more dimensions please. Im guessing 1 3/4" near the handle tapering to 3/8" tips. maybe 3/8" thick at 68". rough guess so if ya could tive me a little more Id appreciate it
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline JonW

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 10:19:26 pm »
I started with 2 1/2" at the fades and ended up with around 2 1/8" after tillering. I think if you keep the full 2 1/2" and heat treat you can get 55#. The one I made was 66" and 45# @ 28". The thickness will depend on the density of the particular piece of wood. I would start with 9/16".
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,41491.msg555139.html#msg555139

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 09:20:55 am »
I've made both longbows, (2 were warbow strength), as well as flat bows out of Sassafras. I've found that "D" tillered works best for this wood and if a flat bow at least 2" wide. And yes it does smell great especially under the heat gun. I have on now I'm working on that I let season 2 years. Best of luck. :)
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 09:52:02 am »
Awesome, thanks guys, love this forum and all the info I get off of it