Author Topic: Tapered lams  (Read 3914 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Tapered lams
« on: October 09, 2013, 12:29:57 am »
So I got a bundle of tapered maple lams and some parallel lams of some darker wood. Real grainy, not sure what it is. The guy got them from an estate sale of a local bowyer from the 60's. Anywhoo. The maple lams are 1/8" down to 1/16". How would I go about figuring out how many I need in a stack? Trial and error? I'm planing an osage belly and hickory backing and was thinking of putting two sets of tapers and a parallel. Any suggestions. Blackhawk? Lol
Nothing ventured nothing gained

mikekeswick

Re: Tapered lams
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 02:56:25 am »
What poundage? What draw length? What limb profile?
Answer these and I can help  ;D

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 11:11:01 am »
I'd like a 62" bendy handle static recurve. I have osage for the belly and hickory for the back. Just wondering about the tapered lams as the core. Or do I just put a thinner core in? Looking for 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" wide.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 11:21:15 am »
I want it to be 60# or so

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 08:48:33 pm »
I'd like a 62" bendy handle static recurve. I have osage for the belly and hickory for the back. Just wondering about the tapered lams as the core. Or do I just put a thinner core in? Looking for 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" wide.

If you have osage for the belly and hickory for the back why bother with the maple at all.  Those tapered lams are good for a R/D or 3 piece or  FG bows... >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 10:43:38 pm »
I have a design in mind and think they would work better. I wanna make a bow like cal recurve made for bow of the month awhile back.

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 08:07:52 am »
Hickory backing: 1/8-1/16" thickness taper

Maple core: 1/8-1/16" thickness taper

Osage belly: from fades to tips go 3/8"-5/16" ,and the parallel thickness thru the handle section will depend on what style handle you do...if its not going to be thick enough you'll have to add a power lam in between the backing and core that will extend out past whereever the ends of your glued on handle end up...

I'm assuming your still wanting to make a trilam recurve? This should leave you with a 1/16"+ to tiller off n make weight...

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 09:42:30 am »
How would I taper the belly? I have a block plane. I've saw it done with a jointer. But I don't have one. I have a table saw but no idea how I could cut a taper for the lams

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 09:43:09 am »
Oh, and yes I still have the recurve stuck on my head lol, thanks again

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 10:58:33 am »
The tapered lams would be core wood. I personally don't do that, but some guys like the look of tapered lams, making the tip appear 'lighter' and more proportionate.

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 11:29:09 am »
First get the side of the osage that will be glued planed flat n ready for glue..u can use a hand plane,or rasps n sanding blocks to accomplish this(this is where power tools are really needed and the preferred way to go about all this),but it can be done with all hand tools...next mark your thickness dimensions from the glued side and facet a line with a pencil just as you would on a self bow to reduce your thickness,and have a guid to go to(do both sides to keep side to side thickness the same)...now take your aggressive rasps or drawknive first if its a lot and reduce down to your tapered line you faceted down the side of the osage....your basically tillering it is all,and making sure it has a nice even bend before glue up so if you so desire to induce shape at glue up it will bend nice and evenly ... making laminate bows is a precision made thing...much thought has to be done and put into it,and most of the work is done pre glue up....the better job you do before gluing it up the better it will be and turn out...and like I said power tools aid tremendously if needing to reduce and taper your own lams...

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 07:58:53 pm »
you don't have to taper them if you don't have the tools, go 1/8" 1/8" 3/8" and glue the handle on, the thicker belly lam will get the fades started before the handle and will help with it not popping off, glue the three lams up I use inertubes instead of clamps, put an 1 " block under the centerline, clamp it about 16" from the tips and put a 2" block under the tips, this will give a nice flip to the tips kinda easy
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 09:04:18 pm »
I wanna sandwhich my handle in between core and belly. I have tapered maple lams as well I'm gonna use for the core . I want to make a reflexed handle recurve

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 11:44:04 pm »
 :o  Wow  some great information , Blackhawks bout got it built. you are very good in your explanation Chris,  Do you make your living as a teacher.......very nice!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 02:12:55 am »
:o  Wow  some great information , Blackhawks bout got it built. you are very good in your explanation Chris,  Do you make your living as a teacher.......very nice!

X2 great advice from everyone..... that is point blank why I love this site great info from great guys ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...